Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date: 2007-10-23 16:45:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> We develop and commit like normal *until* the community feels there is
> enough for release. Then we announce a feature freeze.

No, I think this is hopeless on several grounds. First, it increases
uncertainty. People need to be able to work towards a target. Second,
there will always be a temptation to "just squeeze in killer feature X".

I think there is some virtue in Simon's suggestion, provided that
adequate reviewer resources are available. That might mean you need to
put on your fundraising hat and raise some reviewer sponsorship money.

cheers

andrew