Re: Big 7.4 items

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: kward(at)peerdirect(dot)com, patrickm(at)redhat(dot)com, darren(at)up(dot)hrcoxmail(dot)com, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, jrnield(at)usol(dot)com
Subject: Big 7.4 items
Date: 2002-12-13 06:22:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wanted to outline some of the big items we are looking at for 7.4:

Win32 Port:

Katie Ward and Jan are working on contributing their Win32
port for 7.4. They plan to have a patch available by the end of
December.

Point-In-Time Recovery (PITR)

J. R. Nield did a PITR patch late in 7.3 development, and Patrick
MacDonald from Red Hat is working on merging it into CVS and
adding any missing pieces. Patrick, do you have an ETA on that?

Replication

I have talked to Darren Johnson and I believe 7.4 is the time to
merge the Postgres-R source tree into our main CVS. Most of the
replication code will be in its own directory, with only minor
changes to our existing tree. They have single-master
replication working now, so we may have that feature in some
capacity for 7.4. I know others are working on replication
solutions. This is probably the time to decide for certain if
this is the direction we want to go for replication. Most who
have have studied Postgres-R feel it is the most promising
multi-master replication solution for reliably networked hosts.

Comments?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

On 13 Dec 2002 at 1:22, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Replication
>
> I have talked to Darren Johnson and I believe 7.4 is the time to
> merge the Postgres-R source tree into our main CVS. Most of the
> replication code will be in its own directory, with only minor
> changes to our existing tree. They have single-master
> replication working now, so we may have that feature in some
> capacity for 7.4. I know others are working on replication
> solutions. This is probably the time to decide for certain if
> this is the direction we want to go for replication. Most who
> have have studied Postgres-R feel it is the most promising
> multi-master replication solution for reliably networked hosts.
>
> Comments?

Some.

1) What kind of replication are we looking at? log file replay/syncnronous etc.
If it is real time, like usogres( I hope I am in line with things here), that
would be real good .Choice is always good..

2 If we are going to have replication, can we have built in load balancing? Is
it a good idea to have it in postgresql or a separate application would be way
to go?

And where are nested transactions?

Bye
Shridhar

--
Booker's Law: An ounce of application is worth a ton of abstraction.