Re: Monty on MySQL 5.1: "Oops, we did it again"

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Steve Crawford" <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Monty on MySQL 5.1: "Oops, we did it again"
Date: 2008-12-01 20:16:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Steve Crawford
> <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2008/11/oops-we-did-it-again-mysql-51-released.html
>>
>> All interesting, but especially the part about half-way down under the
>> heading "So what went wrong with MySQL 5.1 ?" - must-read for anyone
>> involved in selecting a database.
>
> well, at least they have replication and partitioning built in. How reliable
> it is, is completely another story - but still, they are a step ahead in
> that regard.
> Now I know why Tom Lane doesn't have a blog :)

I'd rather do the paritioning by hand and use slony and know it works
than rely on the code that's doing all that in mysql. If your server
crashes while updating a partitioned table, you could lose all the
data in it. Replication can mysteriously just quit working with no
errors or warning.

Make your pick, half assed code that sometimes works, or postgresql. :)