Re: make check For Extensions

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make check For Extensions
Date: 2014-06-13 06:40:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> That does not mean that it starts a new cluster on a port. It means it
> will test it against an existing cluster after you have installed into
> that cluster.

Yes, that is what I was saying.

>> It invokes "psql" which is expected to work directly. Note that there
>> is no temporary installation, it is tested against the installed and
>> running postgres. Maybe having the ability to create a temporary
>> installation, as you suggest, would be a nice extension.
>
> Yes, that’s what I would like, so I could test *before* installing.

I would suggest to add that to https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo.

I may look into it when I have time, over the summer. The key point is
that there is no need for a temporary installation, but only of a
temporary cluster, and to trick this cluster into loading the uninstalled
extension, maybe by playing with dynamic_library_path in the temporary
cluster.

--
Fabien.