Re: make check For Extensions

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make check For Extensions
Date: 2014-06-12 19:18:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jun 12, 2014, at 11:28 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:

> My 0.02€: It is expected to work, more or less, see the end of
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/extend-pgxs.html

That says:

“The scripts listed in the REGRESS variable are used for regression testing of your module, which can be invoked by make installcheck after doing make install. For this to work you must have a running PostgreSQL server.”

That does not mean that it starts a new cluster on a port. It means it will test it against an existing cluster after you have installed into that cluster.

> It invokes "psql" which is expected to work directly. Note that there is no temporary installation, it is tested against the installed and running postgres. Maybe having the ability to create a temporary installation, as you suggest, would be a nice extension.

Yes, that’s what I would like, so I could test *before* installing.

Best,

David