Re: Core Extensions relocation

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-11-14 22:06:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14 November 2011 09:08, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I've revived the corpose of the patch submitted in May, now that it's a much
> less strange time of the development cycle to consider it.
>  http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4DF048BD.8040302@2ndquadrant.com
> was the first attempt to move some extensions from contrib/ to a new
> src/extension/ directory.  I have fixed the main complaints from the last
> submit attempt, that I accidentally grabbed some old makesfiles and CVS
> junk.  The new attempt is attached, and is easiest to follow with the a diff
> view that understands "moved a file", like github's:
>  https://github.com/greg2ndQuadrant/postgres/compare/master...core-extensions
>
> You can also check out the docs changes done so far at
> http://www.highperfpostgres.com/docs/html/extensions.html  I reorganized the
> docs to break out what I decided to tentatively name "Core Extensions" into
> their own chapter.  They're no longer mixed in with the rest of the contrib
> modules, and I introduce them a bit differently.  I'm not completely happy
> on the wordering there yet.  The use of both "modules" and "extensions" is
> probably worth eliminating, and maybe that continues on to doing that
> against the language I swiped from the contrib intro too.  There's also a
> lot of shared text at the end there, common wording from that and the
> contrib page about how to install and migrate these extensions.  Not sure
> how to refactor it out into another section cleanly though.

I'm all for removing all mention of "modules". It's ambiguous and
used inconsistently.

In my previous post in this area
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-10/msg00781.php) I
suggested that bundling tools, libraries and extensions together in
the same category is confusing. So those are still a problem for me.
And auto_explain appears in your new "Core Extensions" section, but
it's not an extension in the terminology PostgreSQL uses, so that's
also potentially confusing.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion