Core Extensions relocation

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-06-09 04:14:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Following up on the idea we've been exploring for making some extensions
more prominent, attached is the first rev that I think may be worth
considering seriously. Main improvement from the last is that I
reorganized the docs to break out what I decided to tentatively name
"Core Extensions" into their own chapter. No longer mixed in with the
rest of the contrib modules, and I introduce them a bit differently.
If you want to take a quick look at the new page, I copied it to
http://www.2ndquadrant.us/docs/html/extensions.html

I'm not completely happy on the wordering there yet. The use of both
"modules" and "extensions" is probably worth eliminating, and maybe that
continues on to doing that against the language I swiped from the
contrib intro too. There's also a lot of shared text at the end there,
common wording from that and the contrib page about how to install and
migrate these extensions. Not sure how to refactor it out into another
section cleanly though.

Regression tests came up last time I posted this. Doesn't look like
there are any for the modules I'm suggesting should be promoted. Only
code issue I noticed during another self-review here is that I didn't
rename contrib/pgrowlocks/pgrowlocks--unpackaged--1.0.sql cleanly, may
need to do that one over again to get the commits as clean as possible.

Updated code is at
https://github.com/greg2ndQuadrant/postgres/tree/move-contrib too, and
since this is painful as a patch the compare view at
https://github.com/greg2ndQuadrant/postgres/compare/master...move-contrib
will be easier for browsing the code changes.

move-contrib-v3.patch text/x-patch 247.0 KB