Re: Core Extensions relocation

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-11-14 22:34:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
> I'm all for removing all mention of "modules". It's ambiguous and
> used inconsistently.

The module is the shared library object. It should be possible to use
that consistently. And I have some plans on my TODO list about them
anyway, so making them disappear from the manual would not serve my
later plans :)

> And auto_explain appears in your new "Core Extensions" section, but
> it's not an extension in the terminology PostgreSQL uses, so that's
> also potentially confusing.

This is a related problem, we should have a terminology for contrib
tools such as pg_standby or pg_archivecleanup, for modules like the one
you talk about, that provide new features but nothing visible from SQL,
and extensions, that are all about SQL --- and if I can work on my plans
will get even more about SQL in a near future.

It's too late for me today to contribute nice ideas here though.

Dimitri Fontaine