Re: Benchmark

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: performance pgsql <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Benchmark
Date: 2005-02-10 13:21:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Feb 10, 2005, at 12:49 AM, Jaime Casanova wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> i'm planning try to do a comparative between some DBMS
> and postgresql (informix, oracle, m$ sql server,
> firebird and even mysql) i'm coordinating with people
> in the irc spanish postgresql channel.
>
> 2) point me to a good benchmark test or script that
> can be used?

The TPC tests are fairly widely accepted. The thing with a benchmark
is they are unlikely to simulate your real traffic. But it is always
fun to look at numbers

> 3) any comments?

If you plan on making your results public be very careful with the
license agreements on the other db's. I know Oracle forbids the
release of benchmark numbers without their approval.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/