Buildfarm coverage (was Re: OK, ready for RC1 or Beta6)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Buildfarm coverage (was Re: OK, ready for RC1 or Beta6)
Date: 2004-12-03 20:20:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1. Buildfarm doesn't yet have that many platforms on it.

It's not as bad as all that. Our current list of supported platforms
(ie, things that got tested last time) is

AIX
Free/Open/NetBSD covered by buildfarm
HPUX used daily by moi
IRIX
Linux covered by buildfarm
OS X tested pretty often by moi
Solaris covered by buildfarm
Tru64
UnixWare
Windows/Cygwin covered by buildfarm

With respect to hardware it's

x86 covered by buildfarm
ia64
x86_64 covered by buildfarm
ARM
Alpha
MIPS covered by buildfarm
m68k
PA-RISC used daily by moi
PPC tested pretty often by moi
RS6000 isn't this same as PPC?
S/390
Sparc covered by buildfarm

Considering that we have both 32- and 64-bit, little- and big-endian
hardware in there, most of the basic hardware gotchas are covered;
the only thing I think is at much risk is the spinlock assembler code,
which we change seldom.

Where the buildfarm falls down a bit is on the cross-product coverage.
But I think you're not going to get the cross product without a call for
port reports; there aren't that many people who are going to offer
dedicated time on every random platform there is.

It would be nice to get an Alpha into the buildfarm, and PPC too.