Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2009-01-16 17:55:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
>> Comments? Does this cover all the cases?

> No: the user case someone had upthread, where they want to see all their
> functions starting with an "a" across all schemas in their path:

> \df a*

I think either "\dfU a*" or "\dfU *.a*" is a sufficiently close
approximation to that. The behavior you are asking for is essentially
"I want to pay attention to the search path, except not actually follow
its rules", which is bogus. Either you want to see the functions you
can call without schema qualification, or you want to see 'em all ---
it does no good whatsoever to lie about the visibility.