Re: What's needed for cache-only table scan?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What's needed for cache-only table scan?
Date: 2013-11-12 16:29:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp> writes:
> 2013/11/12 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>> There's no possible way you'll finish this for 9.4.

> Yes, I understand it is not possible to submit whole of the patch until
> CF3 deadline. So, I'd like to find out a way to implement it as an
> extension using facilities being supported or to be enhanced on v9.4.

Oh! Okay, I misunderstood the context --- you meant this as an example
use-case for the custom plan feature, right? Makes more sense now.

I'm still dubious that it'd actually be very useful in itself, but it
seems reasonable as a test case to make sure that a set of hooks for
custom plans are sufficient to do something useful with.