Re: SSI freezing bug

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: SSI freezing bug
Date: 2013-10-07 14:07:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07.10.2013 16:58, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-10-07 06:44:19 -0700, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Patch attached. Any objections to applying that Real Soon Now?
>> (When, exactly is the deadline to make today's minor release
>> cut-off?)
>
> Maybe it's overly careful, but I personally slightly vote for applying
> it after the backbranch releases. The current behaviour doesn't have any
> harsh consequences and mostly reproduceable in artifical scenarios and
> the logic here is complex enough that we might miss something.

Well, it's fairly harsh if the feature isn't working as advertised.

> A day just doesn't leave much time to noticing any issues.

It's less than ideal, I agree, but it doesn't seem better to me to just
leave the bug unfixed for another minor release. Even if we sit on this
for another few months, I don't think we'll get any meaningful amount of
extra testing on it.

- Heikki