Re: Change the name

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change the name
Date: 2007-09-14 17:34:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-de-allgemein

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>

>> I think we have to decide if we really want to do this, and I don't see
>> how we can do that without asking general. I can ask people to email me
>> directly and put up a web page with comments, or just set up a web page
>> wiki to add comments.
>>

> What are you planning to ask -general, exactly?
>
> Unless it's a call for volunteers, anything you ask -general at this point
> will be nothing but a straw poll. You can't even regard it as a vote,
> because the folks on -general don't have enough information to make an
> informed decision.

I think we should ask -general: Do you think this is a good idea? What
sort of concerns do you have? Are there any specific issues you feel
would need to be addressed?

However, I think you are right that this thread here *and* the thread on
-general are not things that should be used as a mandate for the core
team. It is simply a feedback mechanism and a way to understand what
people think about the process.

IMO, certain decisions, such as name changes, should not be made
democratically. They should be made by the body which is responsible
for governing the project (though democratic feedback can and should be
a part of the process). *If* the core team wanted to endorse such a
name change, then there would be a call for volunteers.

So here is my only concern: If the project changes names, it is going
to require a lot of grunt work. We do not want this work to cause
delays in future versions of the software. In my estimation, this may
draw out the transition time by months or even years. However, this is
not a bad thing because it means that there is greater community
awareness that the change is happening and more time to transition the
advocacy efforts.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers