Re: Change the name

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change the name
Date: 2007-09-14 17:23:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-de-allgemein

Bruce,

> I think we have to decide if we really want to do this, and I don't see
> how we can do that without asking general.  I can ask people to email me
> directly and put up a web page with comments, or just set up a web page
> wiki to add comments.

What are you planning to ask -general, exactly?

Unless it's a call for volunteers, anything you ask -general at this point
will be nothing but a straw poll. You can't even regard it as a vote,
because the folks on -general don't have enough information to make an
informed decision.

When local government has the citizens vote on a bond or initiative, the
voter booklet contains the controller's estimate of the costs of the bond.
This happens *before* anyone takes a vote, because citizens can't vote to
spend city money if they don't know how much they're really spending.

If the question is, do we have enough interest in changing the name to
warrant research into what it will really "cost", then the answer is
"yes", we already have that. The only way in which a poll of -general
would be useful is if most people said they didn't want to change.

I've been waiting for the main proponents of changing the name to step up
and do that research. This will be a good litmus test of whether those
people will actually follow through to do the work required to change the
name. So far, I've seen nothing but e-mail posts.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun