Re: Change the name

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andy Astor <andy(dot)astor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Change the name
Date: 2007-09-14 17:32:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-de-allgemein

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> My basic issue is we can't use "asking for more details" to forever
>>> block this change. That's how organizations stop growing.
>>>
>> 5000 bucks and a case of whatever you drink says, that if we drop this
>> topic, PostgreSQL won't stop growing.
>
> True, but will a name change increase growth?

Probably not. Consider the number of projects out there with odd names
that are doing just fine.

- From a commercial perspective, people don't purchase PostgreSQL, they
purchase a commercial equivalent.

> The bottom line is I am fine with accepting whatever the group wants on
> this, but I don't want our institutional momentum to prevent a change
> if a change is overall beneficial.

That is a good point, a really good point honestly. How about we
eliminate the need for vacuum instead? There is some institutional
momentume that is preventing change that would be overall beneficial.

*** STOP ***

I do not want a thread about what I just said, I was just making a point.

> Institutional momentum can be a very
> dangerous thing. I am sure we have all seen its effects.

Absolutely. The:

We already tried that, it failed... mentality is a horribly destructive
thing.

I still say we need to focus on our core strengths, the "Name" isn't
relevant in that argument. Instead of expending energy on that, we
should expending energy on doing everything we can to:

Get windowing queries running
Get real partitioning
Get read only standbys

Yes, yes, yes... someone is already working on those... Really? Where is
the code... where is the review, where is the spec?

Oh and of course there is that little thing called 8.3 that isn't done
yet :)...

Seriously, let's focus on something really important versus something
that has zero technical ballast.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> I think one of our big strengths is a lack of institutional friction in
> forward momentum.

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL