Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL
Date: 2010-09-16 02:05:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz> writes:
> On 16/09/10 13:22, Tom Lane wrote:
>> What exactly do those get you that an ordinary index, or at worst an
>> index-organized table, doesn't get you?

> It is pretty rare to see key value stores vs relational engines
> discussed without a descent into total foolishiness, but this Wikipedia
> page looks like a reasonable summary:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoSQL

That doesn't do anything at all to answer my question. I don't want
to debate NoSQL versus traditional RDBMS here. What I asked was:
given that PG is a traditional RDBMS, what exactly are you hoping
to accomplish by putting a key-value storage mechanism in it? And
if you did, how would that be different from an index-organized table?