Re: pgsql: Add ANALYZE into regression tests

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add ANALYZE into regression tests
Date: 2014-04-14 00:41:15
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Greg,

* Greg Stark (stark(at)mit(dot)edu) wrote:
> But the original goal seems like it would be easier and better done with an
> immutable function which lies and calls elog to leak information. That's
> the actual attack this is supposed to protect against anyways.

Uh, yes, that's what the explain is about- making sure that the 'snoop'
function in the regression test doesn't get pushed down. It *also*
runs the function which raises a notice for each item the function can
see, and verifies that only those values are returned..

> That would make the tests more robust against other changes causing
> failures. Even things like changing explain output formatting for example.

Sure, but there's a whole slew of tests that would have to change if we
changed the explain output, not just this one. I don't think we really
want to make a policy against doing EXPLAIN in regression tests, but if
so, we'd need to go change quite a few tests which have been working
pretty well to date..

Thanks,

Stephen