Re: Public header files change

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Raiskup <praiskup(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, hhorak(at)redhat(dot)com
Subject: Re: Public header files change
Date: 2014-02-21 11:19:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2014-02-21 12:11:42 +0100, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> It seems to be unlikely to me, but are the changed symbols mentioned in
> git-log commit message 5f173040e324 supposed to be used other than
> internally? Snip:
> These seem to be pretty internal symbols to me, but I rather asking here.
> Is there some project we know off that is using this functions (or is
> there some obvious usecase for third-parties)?

I don't know of any public/open code, but I have seen DefineIndex()
being used directly in some company's private code. And it's probably
not a good idea to do so.

Since such code should also adapt to be safe, it's probably a good idea
if it breaks. If such code is used without recompiling against an
updated PG, it's likely that it will error out with a somewhat strange
message (Cache lookup failure for Oid <ptr as uint32>), but it shouldn't
crash.

Greetings,

Andres Freund