Re: Progress indication prototype

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Progress indication prototype
Date: 2010-08-17 17:52:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Alex Hunsaker (badalex(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 06:31, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > * Peter Eisentraut (peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net) wrote:
> >> Other comments?
> >
> > Will we be able to use it for psql while keeping just one database
> > connection?  I assume the answer is 'no', but it sure would be nice..
>
> I think thats something that could be worked out in libpq after this
> patch. Although I'd bump your nice to an awesome.

If it was configurable via \set and I could drop it in my .psqlrc, and
it knew not to only do it after a few seconds (otherwise it'd be far too
much)...

I don't like how the backend would have to send something NOTICE-like, I
had originally been thinking "gee, it'd be nice if psql could query
pg_stat while doing something else", but that's not really possible...
So, I guess NOTICE-like messages would work, if the backend could be
taught to do it.

Thanks,

Stephen