Re: Patch review

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch review
Date: 2008-02-12 10:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> It would also be better to be able to off-load it to more than one
> person. For example, I would like to be able to get into the unapplied
> patches list and remove the email about events on 8.3RC1. First of all,
> it's not a patch, but it's listed under it. But more importantly, it has
> been fixed and should just be removed. So I now have to email you to ask
> you to remove it, and then you have to do the actual work, which means
> double work.

True. Those web pages are emails pulled from the stream of emails that
I think are worthy of discussion during 8.4 development.

If we assume we want to continue communicating via email I need a way to
pull items out and collect them, and unfortunately right now it is hard
for others to help in that.

I have a few ideas. First I could easily create an email address that
would allow others to _add_ emails to the web page (via bounce) but that
doesn't solve the issue of allowing people to comment on and delete
items.

Do most email readers support bouncing emails to another address, so the
to/from fields are not modified? (Seems there is a Thunderbird
extension to do it,
http://blog.mecworks.com/articles/2005/04/20/bouncing-mail-in-thunderbird/.)

There is no reason I have to host the list here. I can _bounce_ emails
to any address. Is there a service we can use that allows emails to be
accepted and displayed on a web site and that allows deletions and
comments, and has stable URLs for every email message? Is there
software I can install on my server to do this?

If we want to communicate via a web interface, I would still need a way
to collect specific messages (not always entire threads).