Re: end of life for pg versions...

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: end of life for pg versions...
Date: 2008-02-12 08:44:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:53:06 -0600
Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> wrote:

> The problem with that is that as a volunteer-run project, dates
> can be off by a mile. Less than a year ago the plan was to release
> 8.3 is August-September 2007. Instead it was released a week or two
> ago.

That's why I wrote "without making it too formal" and "bland
commitment to the release schedule...".

Just a place where you could have some idea without digging into the
lists or announcement. Not everyone has the same level of involvement
to know what's happening among the developers.

Not only it will help developer but will help advocacy too.

> I think the closest thing to a policy you'll find is a discussion
> from a year or two ago where the consensus was that we should
> endeavor to support a version for at least 2 years after it's
> replacement comes out (ie: 8.2 should be supported for at least 2
> years after we released 8.3).

This kind of statement are hard to find out.
As said even if it was a very bland schedule there should be a place
where people can see easily when next version is expected, when
generally version reach EOL. If you spice it up with planned features
it would even be better.

Many people aren't used to pg "culture" and "community" and "oral
knowledge" of postgresql.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it