Re: psql \d+ and oid display

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \d+ and oid display
Date: 2014-04-01 16:05:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:30:54AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Frankly, I think this is all completely wrong-headed. \d+ should
>> display *everything*. That's what the + means, isn't it? Coming up
>> with complex rules for which things get shown and which things get
>> hidden just makes the output harder to understand, without any
>> compensating benefit.

> Well, there are lot of _other_ things we could display about the table
> that we don't. Are you suggesting we add those too? What about
> "Replica Identity"? Should that always display?

> The bottom line is we already have complex rules to display only what is
> _reasonable_. If you want everything, you have to look at the system
> tables.

Yeah. All of the \d commands are compromises between verbosity and
displaying all needful information, so I don't think that Robert's
proposed approach is particularly helpful. It would only lead to
requests for \d-plus-one-half mode once people realized that "everything"
is too much. (I'd rather go in the direction of \d++ yielding extra
info, if we ever decide to have more than two verbosity levels.)

I do think there's some merit to the argument about "it's been like
this for years, why change it?". But if you reject backwards
compatibility as an overriding factor here, the currently-proposed
patch seems the sanest design to me.