Re: psql \d+ and oid display

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \d+ and oid display
Date: 2014-04-01 16:09:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> The bottom line is we already have complex rules to display only what is
>> _reasonable_. If you want everything, you have to look at the system
>> tables.

> I don't really agree with that. I understand that there's some
> information (like dependencies) that you can't get through psql
> because we don't really have a principled idea for what an interface
> to that would look like, but I don't think that's a good thing. Every
> time I have to write a query by hand to get some information instead
> of being able to get it through a backslash command, that slows me
> down considerably. But I'm lucky in that I actually know enough to do
> that, which most users don't. Information that you can't get through
> \d+ just isn't available to a large percentage of our user base
> without huge effort. We shouldn't be stingy about putting stuff in
> there that people may need to see.

At least in this particular case, that's an uninteresting argument.
We aren't being stingy with information, because the proposed new display
approach provides *exactly the same information* as before. (If you see
the "Has OIDs" line, it's got OIDs, otherwise it doesn't.) What we are
being stingy about is display clutter, and I believe that's a good thing.