Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Alvaro Herrera'" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "'Robert Haas'" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "'Fujii Masao'" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-08-01 09:05:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:25 PM Josh Berkus wrote:
> Amit,
>
> > I had already sent the updated patch based on recent suggestions.
>
> Yes, but there is no consensus yet on certain fundamental issues, such
> as:
>
> 1. what directory should postgresql.auto.conf live in?

Current situation is that Greg Smith has provided a usecase for all config files to be present
in location other than $PGDATA, but based on further suggestions given by Greg Stark and Stephen Frost
it is clear that keeping postgresql.auto.conf will not harm the users of Debian.

More to that point, I think if we try to address conf.d (for maintaining config files) along with this
Patch, it will not be possible to get every one on same plane.

I think apart from Greg Stark and Stephen Frost other people (Tom, Robert) are of opinion that auto file should be placed in
$PGDATA, so shouldn't we consider this as consensus and move forward for this point unless Tom or Robert have changed their view based on
usecase provided by Greg Smith?

> 2. should admins be able to turn it "off"?

IIRC there are not many people who want this feature to be turned off. Peter E. had asked seeing the complexity, but in general I don't think
This is a blocking point for patch, am I missing something here?

> Once we have consensus on these issues, then hopefully we can commit
> your patch. I don't *think* anyone is arguing with the code at this
> stage.

Sure, I understand that it is important to have consensus and agreement on above points.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.