Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, 'Alvaro Herrera' <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 'Robert Haas' <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, 'Fujii Masao' <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-07-30 16:55:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit,

> I had already sent the updated patch based on recent suggestions.

Yes, but there is no consensus yet on certain fundamental issues, such as:

1. what directory should postgresql.auto.conf live in?

2. should admins be able to turn it "off"?

Once we have consensus on these issues, then hopefully we can commit
your patch. I don't *think* anyone is arguing with the code at this stage.

Note that I count the name of the file as something on which we *have*
consensus. While I personally don't like the name, I like arguing about
names even less. We had a vote, let's stick with what we have.

> I am really not sure if something is pending from myside,
> so bit confused by the status of patch as Waiting On Author?

It's our policy that patches which are under spec discussion are marked
"waiting on author".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.