Re: Service not starting: Error 1053

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Frank Featherlight <dirtydude(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Service not starting: Error 1053
Date: 2009-02-21 13:26:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hey guys,

I had two running threads here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-02/msg00859.php
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1574

Both have not come to a succesful conclusion.

In very short (but you better read the threads):
During installation it stops at the point of starting service (not able to
start it), so I have to use ctrl+alt+del to close msiexec.
When I install it again it completes fine, because no initdb is needed after
first time (but still service is not starting after installation.
When I tried starting service via Administrative Tools it gives the
following error:
"The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3-service on Local Computer has been
started and stopped. Some services stop automatically when they have nothing
to do, like Performance Logs and Alerts-service" (translated from dutch).
This was in the postgresql log:
FATAL: could not reattach to shared memory (key=1804, addr=01700000): 487
2009-02-19 15:51:01 CET LOG: database system was shut down at 2009-02-19
05:22:30 CET
2009-02-19 15:51:02 CET LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
2009-02-19 15:51:02 CET LOG: autovacuum launcher started
FATAL: could not reattach to shared memory (key=1804, addr=01700000): 487
Then I tried the following:
- uninstall all anti-virus/firewall progs
- change the service running under ./postgress to local system
- lowering shared_memory in postgresql.conf
- deleted postmaster.pid
- sfc /scannow

During this I reinstalled the prog every time and rebooted, nothing worked,
though the last on the list changed the error in Administrative Tools
(Services) to:
Can not start the PostgreSQL Database 8.3-service on Local computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond correctly to the start- or
sendcommand.
(translated from Dutch)
And the postgresql log says this:
FATAL: could not reattach to shared memory (key=1764, addr=01650000): 487
2009-02-20 02:15:48 CET LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up
at 2009-02-20 00:04:52 CET
2009-02-20 02:15:49 CET LOG: database system was not properly shut down;
automatic recovery in progress
2009-02-20 02:15:49 CET LOG: record with zero length at 0/496398
2009-02-20 02:15:49 CET LOG: redo is not required
2009-02-20 02:15:49 CET LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
2009-02-20 02:15:49 CET LOG: autovacuum launcher started
FATAL: could not reattach to shared memory (key=1764, addr=01650000): 487

Hoping you can help me,

Kind regards, Frank.

PS: I use Windows XP Service Pack 3 (formerly SP2, same error, does not
matter). Pentium Dual Core 2.8gHz, 1GB DDR2, nuff GB free.

> Both have not come to a succesful conclusion.
>
> In very short (but you better read the threads):

I was trying to help Frank out on the -general thread and we've ruled
out antivirus etc. (complete uninstall) and my guess is that it's a
permission issue. Not enough of a Windows guy to know *which* permission
might be causing this though.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd

I really need this program to work; it could save me alot of money.

With kind regards, Frank.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Frank Featherlight <dirtydude(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Can anyone help please guys?
>
> I really need this program to work; it could save me alot of money.
>
> With kind regards, Frank.
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Frank Featherlight wrote:
>> > Hey guys,
>> >
>> > I had two running threads here:
>> >
>> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-02/msg00859.php
>> > http://www.postgresqlforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1574
>> >
>> > Both have not come to a succesful conclusion.
>> >
>> > In very short (but you better read the threads):
>>
>> I was trying to help Frank out on the -general thread and we've ruled
>> out antivirus etc. (complete uninstall) and my guess is that it's a
>> permission issue. Not enough of a Windows guy to know *which* permission
>> might be causing this though.
>>
>> > FATAL: could not reattach to shared memory (key=1804, addr=01700000):
>> > 487

It seems that you're not the only one to have this problem:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-06/msg00833.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-09/msg00070.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-10/msg00150.php

What version of Windows is this, anyway?

What happens if you use this installer:

http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows

...Robert