Service not starting during install

From: Frank Featherlight <dirtydude(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Service not starting during install
Date: 2009-02-18 22:00:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey guys, (I am totally new to this kind of thing and have no idea how this
works, please correct me if I do something wrong or stupid)

I recently installed HoldEm Manager on two PC's, this program uses
PostgreSQL and it worked fine on one computer, but on the other one it fails
to start the service during installation.
This is a problem since the installation won't finalize without starting the
service and so it cancels and uninstalls everything.

When I finally found a way around this, I tried to start the service via
Administrative Tools (Services), it gives the following error: "The
PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3-service on Local Computer has been started
and stopped. Some services stop automatically when they have nothing to do,
like Performance Logs and Alerts-service. (translated from dutch)

I read alot online about why this could be, and so I disabled Windows
Firewall (also shutdown the service), disabled all Norton services and
prevented them from starting up with windows and disabled Kaspersky
Anti-Hacker (yes, I feel pretttty vulnerable right now). Uninstalled the
program and installed it again. Also changed the service running under
.\postgres to local system etc.

After all is said and done it still gives me the same error, the service
won't start.

CAN ANYONE HELP??? [image: :cry:]

I installed this package:
http://rvgsoftware.fileburst.com/postgresql.zip
Using postgresql-8.3.msi.
And this installation guide:
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=176

PS: I use Windows XP Service Pack 3 (formerly SP2, same error, does not
matter). Pentium Dual Core 2.8gHz, 1GB DDR2, nuff GB free.

PSS: I also posted something on the HoldEm Manager board but they could not
help me out:
http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1496<http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1496>

PSSS: Also a pending thread here:
*