Re: Passing NULL to a function called with OidFunctionCall3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bborie Park <bkpark(at)ucdavis(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Passing NULL to a function called with OidFunctionCall3
Date: 2011-11-11 00:43:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Bborie Park <bkpark(at)ucdavis(dot)edu> writes:
> I'm trying to make use of OidFunctionCall3 and am wondering how to
> resolve an issue. I need to be able to pass to the function called with
> OidFunctionCall3 a NULL and am having difficulty figuring out how.

You can't. Those convenience functions are not designed to support null
arguments (nor null results, for that matter). If they did, they'd be
so much more complicated to use as to not be worth the bother.

You'll need to write out something comparable to what OidFunctionCall3
does internally; look into fmgr.c. It would behoove you also to make
sure that the function is not strict before you call it with a null,
because a function that is strict is entirely entitled to dump core
on you if you do that.