Re: Extension Templates S03E11

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Date: 2013-12-02 15:03:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Clearly we need the information from the extension package (the scripts
> which are on the PG server's filesystem today, but need not be in the
> future) but that doesn't mean we need to keep those text blobs in the
> catalog.

So, I guess it would have been good to hear about that about a year ago:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/13481.1354743758@sss.pgh.pa.us
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/6466.1354817682@sss.pgh.pa.us

We could have CREATE TEMPLATE FOR EXTENSION store the scripts into some
files in PGDATA instead of the catalogs, but really I don't see the
point.

Dimitri Fontaine