Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.
Date: 2013-12-02 14:59:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think we also needs support for testing xid/multixid wraparound. It
> currently isn't realistically testable because of the timeframes
> involved.

When I've wanted to do that in the past, I've used pg_resetxlog to
adjust a cluster's counters. It still requires some manual hacking
though because pg_resetxlog isn't bright enough to create the new
pg_clog files needed when you move the xid counter a long way.
We could fix that, or we could make the backend more forgiving of
not finding the initial clog segment present at startup ...