Re: SQL Work Needed at the City of Wilsonville

Lists: pdxpug
From: Lindsey Smith <lindsey(dot)smith(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL Work Needed at the City of Wilsonville
Date: 2011-07-22 05:10:14
Lists: pdxpug

I mentioned this at the PDX PUG meeting tonight, but I just got a few
more details. Asking on behalf of a friend, the fine GIS folks at the
City of Wilsonville need some SQL assistance. I *believe* that this
would be a paying gig, but possibly a short one.

In their words: "Take 2 tables with the same data in different columns
(owners, addresses, etc) massage the data in SQL then drop it into a
fresh table that we use to update our production database."

If you are interested, contact:
Daniel J Stark AICP, GISP
GIS Manager
City of Wilsonville
voice: 503-570-1533
stark(at)ci(dot)wilsonville(dot)or(dot)us

Lindsey

On Jul 21, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Lindsey Smith wrote:

> I mentioned this at the PDX PUG meeting tonight, but I just got a few
> more details. Asking on behalf of a friend, the fine GIS folks at the
> City of Wilsonville need some SQL assistance. I *believe* that this
> would be a paying gig, but possibly a short one.
>
> In their words: "Take 2 tables with the same data in different columns
> (owners, addresses, etc) massage the data in SQL then drop it into a
> fresh table that we use to update our production database."
>
> If you are interested, contact:
> Daniel J Stark AICP, GISP
> GIS Manager
> City of Wilsonville
> voice: 503-570-1533
> stark(at)ci(dot)wilsonville(dot)or(dot)us
>
> Lindsey

> On Jul 21, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Lindsey Smith wrote:

>> In their words: "Take 2 tables with the same data in different columns
>> (owners, addresses, etc) massage the data in SQL then drop it into a
>> fresh table that we use to update our production database."

Tom commented:
> Sounds more like a Perl job to me.

Yeah... and deceptively simple. I might call them and find out some
more details.

Anybody interested in a group PDXPUG hackfest/fundraiser/helping out
the local gov, or is that a totally insane idea?

gabrielle

I have to do this every once and a while at work, and would enjoy a hackfest
to learn if other PDXPUG folks have a better way to do it...
shawn

On Jul 26, 2011, at 10:26 AM, gabrielle wrote:

>> On Jul 21, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Lindsey Smith wrote:
>
>>> In their words: "Take 2 tables with the same data in different columns
>>> (owners, addresses, etc) massage the data in SQL then drop it into a
>>> fresh table that we use to update our production database."
>
> Tom commented:
>> Sounds more like a Perl job to me.
>
> Yeah... and deceptively simple. I might call them and find out some
> more details.
>
> Anybody interested in a group PDXPUG hackfest/fundraiser/helping out
> the local gov, or is that a totally insane idea?
>
> gabrielle

I was thinking a join or union deal and a select into. I could be grossly underestimating how complex their data is.

I like the idea of a hackfest for this. It would be really interesting to see how everyone goes about this.

Brent D.