Re: pgbench patches

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr
Subject: pgbench patches
Date: 2013-07-10 01:19:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Fabien,

I have looked into this:
because it's marked as "Ready for committer". However I noticed that
you worried about other pgbench patches such as
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1103 .

> So I would like to know whether the throttling patch is committed and
> then update the progress patch to take that into account.

Shall I wait for your pgbench --throttle patch becomes ready for committer?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

> because it's marked as "Ready for committer". However I noticed that
> you worried about other pgbench patches such as
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1103 .
>
>> So I would like to know whether the throttling patch is committed and
>> then update the progress patch to take that into account.
>
> Shall I wait for your pgbench --throttle patch becomes ready for committer?

No. I'll submit another patch to the next commitfest to improve the
progress behavior under throttling, if & when both initial patches are
committed.

--
Fabien.

>> because it's marked as "Ready for committer". However I noticed that
>> you worried about other pgbench patches such as
>> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1103 .
>>
>>> So I would like to know whether the throttling patch is committed and
>>> then update the progress patch to take that into account.
>>
>> Shall I wait for your pgbench --throttle patch becomes ready for
>> committer?
>
> No. I'll submit another patch to the next commitfest to improve the
> progress behavior under throttling, if & when both initial patches are
> committed.

Ok, so I looked into the progress patch. One thing I noticed was:

case 'P':
progress = atoi(optarg);
if (progress <= 0)
{
fprintf(stderr,
"thread progress delay (-P) must not be negative (%s)\n",
optarg);
exit(1);
}
break;

For me, the error message is not quite right, because progress == 0
case is considered error as well in your patch. I sugges you change
the error message something like:

"thread progress delay (-P) must be positive number (%s)\n",
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

> For me, the error message is not quite right, because progress == 0
> case is considered error as well in your patch. I sugges you change
> the error message something like:
>
> "thread progress delay (-P) must be positive number (%s)\n",

Please find attached a new version with an updated message.

--
Fabien.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench-progress-v7.patch text/x-diff 5.8 KB

>> For me, the error message is not quite right, because progress == 0
>> case is considered error as well in your patch. I sugges you change
>> the error message something like:
>>
>> "thread progress delay (-P) must be positive number (%s)\n",
>
> Please find attached a new version with an updated message.

Thanks. I've been testing on Linux now. Starting from coming Tuesday
(Monday is a national holiday in Japan) I will test on Mac OS X and
Windows.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

>>> For me, the error message is not quite right, because progress == 0
>>> case is considered error as well in your patch. I sugges you change
>>> the error message something like:
>>>
>>> "thread progress delay (-P) must be positive number (%s)\n",
>>
>> Please find attached a new version with an updated message.
>
> Thanks. I've been testing on Linux now. Starting from coming Tuesday
> (Monday is a national holiday in Japan) I will test on Mac OS X and
> Windows.

I have done the test on Mac OS X. Windows testing was done by my
coleague, Yugo Nagata. The results were very positive and I committed
--progress patches.