Re: Win32 port

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Win32 port
Date: 2002-11-07 01:20:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

pgman wrote:
> I have copies of Peer Direct's (Jan's company) port of PostgreSQL to
> Win32, and SRA's port to Win32, and permission to generate a merged
> patch that can be applied to 7.4.
>
> Now that 7.3 is almost complete, I am going to start work on that. I
> will post patches that deal with specific portability issues, like
> fork/exec and path separator handling, and once reviewed, apply them to
> the main CVS tree for 7.4.

I have talked to Jan, and PeerDirect wants to submit a complete working
Win32 patch, rather than the piece-by-piece merged patch I was working
on. They also have a newer version than the one they shared with me.
They realize that their patch is very unlikely to be accepted in whole,
but rather merged in and reworked to fit into our code cleanly. They
also realize 7.4 will be a moving target as people make changes to CVS.

Part of my goal was to get this in quickly while CVS was relatively
stable, particularly hitting the portability issues that are spread
throughout the code, and dealing with sticky issues like rename().

I believe they are in their right to determine how the patch is released
to the community, so it seems we either have to wait for them to
complete their mega-patch, which could take one month or more, or start
working on a patch ourselves.

Let me map out the calendar. I think we are very close on the
point-in-time recovery patch. I am hoping to get that in during
November, and I _was_ hoping for the Win32 port too, so we could have
another two months of development, then start beta for 7.4. As it
stands now, we could be adding Win32 at the end of December, pushing
back 7.4.

Comments?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 08:20:16PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Let me map out the calendar. I think we are very close on the
> point-in-time recovery patch. I am hoping to get that in during
> November, and I _was_ hoping for the Win32 port too, so we could have
> another two months of development, then start beta for 7.4. As it
> stands now, we could be adding Win32 at the end of December, pushing
> back 7.4.

What about patches that are in the pgpatches2 list? Are you going to
merge that right now, or wait for each item to be reviewed?

"Pido que me den el Nobel por razones humanitarias" (Nicanor Parra)

> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 08:20:16PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Let me map out the calendar. I think we are very close on the
> > point-in-time recovery patch. I am hoping to get that in during
> > November, and I _was_ hoping for the Win32 port too, so we could have
> > another two months of development, then start beta for 7.4. As it
> > stands now, we could be adding Win32 at the end of December, pushing
> > back 7.4.
>
> What about patches that are in the pgpatches2 list? Are you going to
> merge that right now, or wait for each item to be reviewed?

Good question. Let's say I will apply them in two days unless someone
objects to them. They all look pretty safe to me.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> I have talked to Jan, and PeerDirect wants to submit a complete working
> Win32 patch, rather than the piece-by-piece merged patch I was working
> on.

Is there a reason you're doing the actual merging with CVS? ISTM it
might be more straight-forward to just wait for PeerDirect to get
their code in a state that can be committed straight to CVS, using the
normal code review process. That would leave the ball in PeerDirect's
code, as far as staying current with any changes made to CVS in the
interim.

BTW, what about the SRA stuff? i.e. could we begin work on a native
Win32 port using their work, while at the same time waiting for
PeerDirect?

> Let me map out the calendar. I think we are very close on the
> point-in-time recovery patch. I am hoping to get that in during
> November, and I _was_ hoping for the Win32 port too, so we could have
> another two months of development, then start beta for 7.4. As it
> stands now, we could be adding Win32 at the end of December, pushing
> back 7.4.

You've mentioned the "quickly release 7.4" plan before, but I'm not
sure I agree with the reasoning behind it.

PITR and Win32, while certainly important features, are not critical
enough that they justify an entire release for themselves, IMHO. Plus,
there's a definate downside to releasing quickly: users will still
need to 'initdb' between major releases, no matter how quickly they
are put out. It's also possible that a faster release cycle would mean
a more rushed, less stable development process (and therefore more
bugs).

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

> > I have talked to Jan, and PeerDirect wants to submit a complete working
> > Win32 patch, rather than the piece-by-piece merged patch I was working
> > on.
>
> Is there a reason you're doing the actual merging with CVS? ISTM it
> might be more straight-forward to just wait for PeerDirect to get
> their code in a state that can be committed straight to CVS, using the
> normal code review process. That would leave the ball in PeerDirect's
> code, as far as staying current with any changes made to CVS in the
> interim.

Clearly, it is better if Jan/PeerDirect does the job. The question is
when it will happen. I figured if I got it started, they could then get
involved when they have time.

I recommend the port be submitted in pieces, meaning make one patch
dealing with path names, another for initdb, etc.

However, they want to do the work, and hopefully it will be done in a
reasonable time, so I certainly can wait.

> BTW, what about the SRA stuff? i.e. could we begin work on a native
> Win32 port using their work, while at the same time waiting for
> PeerDirect?

Yes, certainly I can. The problem there is that once I attack various
areas, Jan's work becomes harder because he has to take his version and
merge in into my changes.

> > Let me map out the calendar. I think we are very close on the
> > point-in-time recovery patch. I am hoping to get that in during
> > November, and I _was_ hoping for the Win32 port too, so we could have
> > another two months of development, then start beta for 7.4. As it
> > stands now, we could be adding Win32 at the end of December, pushing
> > back 7.4.
>
> You've mentioned the "quickly release 7.4" plan before, but I'm not
> sure I agree with the reasoning behind it.
>
> PITR and Win32, while certainly important features, are not critical
> enough that they justify an entire release for themselves, IMHO. Plus,
> there's a definate downside to releasing quickly: users will still
> need to 'initdb' between major releases, no matter how quickly they
> are put out. It's also possible that a faster release cycle would mean
> a more rushed, less stable development process (and therefore more
> bugs).

I have thrown out the idea and some felt that if we could get PITR and
Win32, that would be enough for a release, even if we could get it done
in a month or two.

However, I see your point that releasing too often causes too many
initdb's.

What do others want, a regular 4-6 month cycle or a shorter one?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us