BUG #6528: pglesslog still referenced in docs, but no 9.1 support

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6528: pglesslog still referenced in docs, but no 9.1 support
Date: 2012-03-13 09:00:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6528
Logged by: Stuart Bishop
Email address: stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.3
Operating system: Ubuntu

In section 24.3.5.1 of the docs on setting up continuous archiving, there
are a few paragraphs and examples for using pglesslog (pg_compresslog and
pg_decompresslog). This tool did not get out of beta for 9.0 and the only
reports I find for 9.1 are for not being able to compile it. Suggest
removing it from the docs unless someone wants to pull this tool into the
core.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:00 AM, <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      6528
> Logged by:          Stuart Bishop
> Email address:      stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.3
> Operating system:   Ubuntu
>
> In section 24.3.5.1 of the docs on setting up continuous archiving, there
> are a few paragraphs and examples for using pglesslog (pg_compresslog and
> pg_decompresslog). This tool did not get out of beta for 9.0 and the only
> reports I find for 9.1 are for not being able to compile it. Suggest
> removing it from the docs unless someone wants to pull this tool into the
> core.

This complaint appears to be accurate. I think we should go ahead and
remove that mention.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 10:10:34AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:00 AM, <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com> wrote:
> > The following bug has been logged on the website:
> >
> > Bug reference:      6528
> > Logged by:          Stuart Bishop
> > Email address:      stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com
> > PostgreSQL version: 9.1.3
> > Operating system:   Ubuntu
> >
> > In section 24.3.5.1 of the docs on setting up continuous archiving, there
> > are a few paragraphs and examples for using pglesslog (pg_compresslog and
> > pg_decompresslog). This tool did not get out of beta for 9.0 and the only
> > reports I find for 9.1 are for not being able to compile it. Suggest
> > removing it from the docs unless someone wants to pull this tool into the
> > core.
>
> This complaint appears to be accurate. I think we should go ahead and
> remove that mention.

Agreed; removed with the attached patch. I didn't bother keeping the
gzip mention because I assume there is little value to using without
pglesslog.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

pglesslog text/plain 1.2 KB

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com> wrote:

>>> In section 24.3.5.1 of the docs on setting up continuous
>>> archiving, there are a few paragraphs and examples for using
>>> pglesslog (pg_compresslog and pg_decompresslog). This tool did
>>> not get out of beta for 9.0 and the only reports I find for 9.1
>>> are for not being able to compile it. Suggest removing it from
>>> the docs unless someone wants to pull this tool into the core.
>>
>> This complaint appears to be accurate. I think we should go
>> ahead and remove that mention.
>
> Agreed; removed with the attached patch. I didn't bother keeping
> the gzip mention because I assume there is little value to using
> without pglesslog.

We found that gzip without doing something about the unused portion
of the WAL file generally reduced file size by about 50%, so it
still might be worth mentioning that.

-Kevin