Re: v7.4 Beta 1 Bundle Available for Testing ...

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: v7.4 Beta 1 Bundle Available for Testing ...
Date: 2003-08-06 00:18:09
Lists: pgsql-general

For me, I can only find these directories:
ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/pub/pgsql/source/v7.4/
ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/source/v7.4/
And both of them are empty.

When the drop eventually does become available will it contain any Win32
stuff (raw as it is)?

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 20:18, Dann Corbit wrote:
> [...]

Might be some lag in that mirror synching; try
ftp://ftp3.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/source/v7.4/

> When the drop eventually does become available will it contain any Win32
> stuff (raw as it is)?

depends on what you mean by any. I believe that the standard tarball
will compile under windows, but to what extent it will actually run I
couldn't say. This release is not intended for native use on windows
(that had to be pushed back to 7.5), though it will certainly run via
cygwin.

Robert Treat

> depends on what you mean by any. I believe that the standard tarball
> will compile under windows, but to what extent it will actually run I
> couldn't say. This release is not intended for native use on windows
> (that had to be pushed back to 7.5), though it will certainly run via
> cygwin.

Ummm ... will it compile? I thought that the issue with the Windows
native port was that it wouldn't yet ... something about fork() vs exec()
that Bruce was working on?

It compiles, but does not link because of the missing fork/exec and
signals.

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 09:22, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > depends on what you mean by any. I believe that the standard tarball
> > will compile under windows, but to what extent it will actually run I
> > couldn't say. This release is not intended for native use on windows
> > (that had to be pushed back to 7.5), though it will certainly run via
> > cygwin.
>
> Ummm ... will it compile? I thought that the issue with the Windows
> native port was that it wouldn't yet ... something about fork() vs exec()
> that Bruce was working on?

Since it's always more fun to speculate than to wait for the proper
answer... I thought it would compile, but wouldn't actually run due to
exec/fork issues? Course that may have been someones development code
and not what got checked in I suppose...

Robert Treat

> On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 20:18, Dann Corbit wrote:

> > For me, I can only find these directories:
> > ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/pub/pgsql/source/v7.4/
> > ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/source/v7.4/
> > And both of them are empty.
>
> Might be some lag in that mirror synching; try
> ftp://ftp3.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/source/v7.4/

I just checked, and out of the 6 listed US mirrors, all but ftp8 and
ftp15 are updated. ftp15 seems more out of sync than ftp8, as it doesn't
even have 7.3.4 yet. Maybe it's sync script only runs once a week or so.

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 11:17, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 20:18, Dann Corbit wrote:
>
> > > For me, I can only find these directories:
> > > ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/pub/pgsql/source/v7.4/
> > > ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/source/v7.4/
> > > And both of them are empty.
> >
> > Might be some lag in that mirror synching; try
> > ftp://ftp3.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/source/v7.4/
>
> I just checked, and out of the 6 listed US mirrors, all but ftp8 and
> ftp15 are updated. ftp15 seems more out of sync than ftp8, as it doesn't
> even have 7.3.4 yet. Maybe it's sync script only runs once a week or so.

Hmm.. the mirror ftp page is suppose to check that the site has rsynced
in the last 48 hours, perhaps a bug in the rsync parsing script?

Robert Treat

just looking at the rsyncd.conf file on svr1 itself, is the following a
valid address:

hosts allow = \
114.73.139.66.in-addr.arpa, \

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 11:17, scott.marlowe wrote:

> > > Might be some lag in that mirror synching; try
> > > ftp://ftp3.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/source/v7.4/
> >
> > I just checked, and out of the 6 listed US mirrors, all but ftp8 and
> > ftp15 are updated. ftp15 seems more out of sync than ftp8, as it doesn't
> > even have 7.3.4 yet. Maybe it's sync script only runs once a week or so.
> >

> Hmm.. the mirror ftp page is suppose to check that the site has rsynced
> in the last 48 hours, perhaps a bug in the rsync parsing script?
>
> Robert Treat
> --
> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org