Re: checking variadic "any" argument in parser - should be array

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: checking variadic "any" argument in parser - should be array
Date: 2013-01-26 03:52:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Tom

you did comment

! <----><------><------> * Non-null argument had better be an array.
The parser doesn't
! <----><------><------> * enforce this for VARIADIC ANY functions
(maybe it should?), so
! <----><------><------> * that check uses ereport not just elog.
! <----><------><------> */

So I moved this check to parser.

It is little bit stricter - requests typed NULL instead unknown NULL,
but it can mark error better and early

Regards

Pavel

Attachment Content-Type Size
variadic_any_parser_check.patch application/octet-stream 10.7 KB

From: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Date: 2013-06-26 11:12:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Pavel

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hello Tom
>
> you did comment
>
> ! <----><------><------> * Non-null argument had better be an array.
> The parser doesn't
> ! <----><------><------> * enforce this for VARIADIC ANY functions
> (maybe it should?), so
> ! <----><------><------> * that check uses ereport not just elog.
> ! <----><------><------> */
>
> So I moved this check to parser.
>
> It is little bit stricter - requests typed NULL instead unknown NULL,
> but it can mark error better and early

Tom suggested that this check should be better done by parser.
This patch tries to accomplish that.

I will go review this.

However, is it possible to you to re-base it on current master? I can't
apply it using "git apply" but patch -p1 was succeeded with lot of offset.

Thanks

> Regards
>
> Pavel
>

> --

Jeevan B Chalke
Senior Software Engineer, R&D
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Phone: +91 20 30589500

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains
information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged,
confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended
recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.

2013/6/26 Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>:
> Hi Pavel
>

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Tom
>>
>> you did comment
>>
>> ! <----><------><------> * Non-null argument had better be an array.
>> The parser doesn't
>> ! <----><------><------> * enforce this for VARIADIC ANY functions
>> (maybe it should?), so
>> ! <----><------><------> * that check uses ereport not just elog.
>> ! <----><------><------> */
>>
>> So I moved this check to parser.
>>
>> It is little bit stricter - requests typed NULL instead unknown NULL,
>> but it can mark error better and early
>

> Tom suggested that this check should be better done by parser.
> This patch tries to accomplish that.
>
> I will go review this.
>
> However, is it possible to you to re-base it on current master? I can't
> apply it using "git apply" but patch -p1 was succeeded with lot of offset.
>
> Thanks
>

>> Regards
>>
>> Pavel
>>

>> --
>>

> --
> Jeevan B Chalke
> Senior Software Engineer, R&D
> EnterpriseDB Corporation
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>
> Phone: +91 20 30589500
>
> Website: www.enterprisedb.com
> EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
> Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb
>
> This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the
> individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains
> information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged,
> confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
> the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended
> recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or
> copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
> this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
> and delete this message.

Attachment Content-Type Size
variadic_any_parser_check-2.patch application/octet-stream 10.7 KB