Re: is it bug? - printing boolean domains in sql/xml function

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: is it bug? - printing boolean domains in sql/xml function
Date: 2013-01-13 06:54:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

related to http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRDTAVfNrAzwEt+ewMfRBDZFfVa8W17Kk_E12fb6T-ZNXQ@mail.gmail.com

boolean domains is serialised to string different than boolean

postgres=# CREATE DOMAIN booldomain as bool;
CREATE DOMAIN

-- fully expected behave
postgres=# select true, true::booldomain;
bool | booldomain
------+------------
t | t
(1 row)

postgres=# select true::text, true::booldomain::text;
text | text
------+------
true | true
(1 row)

-- unexpected behave
postgres=# select xmlforest(true as bool, true::booldomain as booldomain);
xmlforest
(1 row)

is it expected behave?

Regards

Pavel

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 07:54:11AM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> related to http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRDTAVfNrAzwEt+ewMfRBDZFfVa8W17Kk_E12fb6T-ZNXQ@mail.gmail.com
>
> boolean domains is serialised to string different than boolean
>
> postgres=# CREATE DOMAIN booldomain as bool;
> CREATE DOMAIN
>
> -- fully expected behave
> postgres=# select true, true::booldomain;
> bool | booldomain
> ------+------------
> t | t
> (1 row)
>
> postgres=# select true::text, true::booldomain::text;
> text | text
> ------+------
> true | true
> (1 row)
>
> -- unexpected behave
> postgres=# select xmlforest(true as bool, true::booldomain as booldomain);
> xmlforest
> (1 row)
>
> is it expected behave?

There is a bug here. map_sql_type_to_xmlschema_type() has special treatment
for domains, but map_sql_value_to_xml_value() and its callers have no
corresponding logic. In the same vein, this yields a schema that does not
validate its corresponding document:

set datestyle = 'sql, dmy';
create domain datedom as date;
create table t as select current_date AS a, current_date::datedom AS b;
select table_to_xml('t', true, true, '');
select table_to_xmlschema('t', true, true, '');

One could debate whether the schema generation or the data generation should
be the one to change, but I tentatively vote for the latter.

Thanks,
nm

--
Noah Misch

2013/2/16 Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 07:54:11AM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> related to http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRDTAVfNrAzwEt+ewMfRBDZFfVa8W17Kk_E12fb6T-ZNXQ@mail.gmail.com
>>
>> boolean domains is serialised to string different than boolean
>>
>> postgres=# CREATE DOMAIN booldomain as bool;
>> CREATE DOMAIN
>>
>> -- fully expected behave
>> postgres=# select true, true::booldomain;
>> bool | booldomain
>> ------+------------
>> t | t
>> (1 row)
>>
>> postgres=# select true::text, true::booldomain::text;
>> text | text
>> ------+------
>> true | true
>> (1 row)
>>
>> -- unexpected behave
>> postgres=# select xmlforest(true as bool, true::booldomain as booldomain);
>> xmlforest
>> (1 row)
>>
>> is it expected behave?
>
> There is a bug here. map_sql_type_to_xmlschema_type() has special treatment
> for domains, but map_sql_value_to_xml_value() and its callers have no
> corresponding logic. In the same vein, this yields a schema that does not
> validate its corresponding document:
>
> set datestyle = 'sql, dmy';
> create domain datedom as date;
> create table t as select current_date AS a, current_date::datedom AS b;
> select table_to_xml('t', true, true, '');
> select table_to_xmlschema('t', true, true, '');
>
> One could debate whether the schema generation or the data generation should
> be the one to change, but I tentatively vote for the latter.

yes, I am thinking so it is bug too.

if we will agree so it should be fixed I'll write fix

Regards

Pavel