Re: Scaling XLog insertion (was Re: Moving more work outside WALInsertLock)

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Moving more work outside WALInsertLock
Date: 2011-12-15 13:51:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've been looking at various ways to make WALInsertLock less of a
bottleneck on multi-CPU servers. The key is going to be to separate the
two things that are done while holding the WALInsertLock: a) allocating
the required space in the WAL, and b) calculating the CRC of the record
header and copying the data to the WAL page. a) needs to be serialized,
but b) could be done in parallel.

I've been experimenting with different approaches to do that, but one
thing is common among all of them: you need to know the total amount of
WAL space needed for the record, including backup blocks, before you
take the lock. So, here's a patch to move things around in XLogInsert()
a bit, to accomplish that.

This patch doesn't seem to have any performance or scalability impact. I
must admit I expected it to give a tiny gain in scalability by
shortening the time WALInsertLock is held by a few instructions, but I
can't measure any. But IMO it makes the code more readable, so this is
worthwhile for that reason alone.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-bkp-refactor-1.patch text/x-diff 9.6 KB

On Thursday, December 15, 2011 02:51:33 PM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I've been looking at various ways to make WALInsertLock less of a
> bottleneck on multi-CPU servers. The key is going to be to separate the
> two things that are done while holding the WALInsertLock: a) allocating
> the required space in the WAL, and b) calculating the CRC of the record
> header and copying the data to the WAL page. a) needs to be serialized,
> but b) could be done in parallel.
>
> I've been experimenting with different approaches to do that, but one
> thing is common among all of them: you need to know the total amount of
> WAL space needed for the record, including backup blocks, before you
> take the lock. So, here's a patch to move things around in XLogInsert()
> a bit, to accomplish that.
>
> This patch doesn't seem to have any performance or scalability impact. I
> must admit I expected it to give a tiny gain in scalability by
> shortening the time WALInsertLock is held by a few instructions, but I
> can't measure any. But IMO it makes the code more readable, so this is
> worthwhile for that reason alone.
Thats great! I did (or at least tried) something similar when I was playing
around with another crc32 implementation (which I plan to finish sometime). My
changes where totally whacky but I got rather big improvements when changing
the crc computation from incremental to one big swoop.
I started to hack up an api which buffered xlog data in statically sized buffer
in each backend and only submitted that every now and then. Never got that to
actually work correctly in more than the simplest cases though ;). In many
cases were taking the wal insert lock way to often during a single insert...
(you obviously know that...)

Andres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-15 15:34:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've been experimenting with different approaches to do that, but one
> thing is common among all of them: you need to know the total amount of
> WAL space needed for the record, including backup blocks, before you
> take the lock. So, here's a patch to move things around in XLogInsert()
> a bit, to accomplish that.

This patch may or may not be useful, but this description of it is utter
nonsense, because we already do compute that before taking the lock.
Please try again to explain what you're doing?

regards, tom lane

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-15 16:32:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I've been experimenting with different approaches to do that, but one
>> thing is common among all of them: you need to know the total amount of
>> WAL space needed for the record, including backup blocks, before you
>> take the lock. So, here's a patch to move things around in XLogInsert()
>> a bit, to accomplish that.
>
> This patch may or may not be useful, but this description of it is utter
> nonsense, because we already do compute that before taking the lock.
> Please try again to explain what you're doing?

Currently the CRC of all the data minus the header is computed outside the lock,
but then the header's computation is added and the CRC is finalized
inside the lock.

Cheers,

Jeff

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-15 16:48:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> This patch may or may not be useful, but this description of it is utter
>> nonsense, because we already do compute that before taking the lock.
>> Please try again to explain what you're doing?

> Currently the CRC of all the data minus the header is computed outside the lock,
> but then the header's computation is added and the CRC is finalized
> inside the lock.

Quite. AFAICS that is not optional, unless you are proposing to remove
the prev_link from the scope of the CRC, which is not exactly a
penalty-free change.

regards, tom lane

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-15 18:50:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15.12.2011 18:48, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff Janes<jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> This patch may or may not be useful, but this description of it is utter
>>> nonsense, because we already do compute that before taking the lock.
>>> Please try again to explain what you're doing?
>
>> Currently the CRC of all the data minus the header is computed outside the lock,
>> but then the header's computation is added and the CRC is finalized
>> inside the lock.
>
> Quite. AFAICS that is not optional,

Right, my patch did not change that.

> unless you are proposing to remove
> the prev_link from the scope of the CRC, which is not exactly a
> penalty-free change.

We could CRC the rest of the record header before getting the lock,
though, and only include the prev-link while holding the lock. I
micro-benchmarked that a little bit, but didn't see much benefit from
doing just that. Once you do more drastic changes so that the lock
doesn't need to be held while copying the data and calculating the CRC
of the record header, so that those things can be done in parallel, it
matters even less.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-15 19:06:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15.12.2011 17:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas<heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> I've been experimenting with different approaches to do that, but one
>> thing is common among all of them: you need to know the total amount of
>> WAL space needed for the record, including backup blocks, before you
>> take the lock. So, here's a patch to move things around in XLogInsert()
>> a bit, to accomplish that.
>
> This patch may or may not be useful, but this description of it is utter
> nonsense, because we already do compute that before taking the lock.

Nope. Without this patch, the total length including the backup blocks,
write_len, is added up in the loop that creates the rdata entries for
backup blocks. That is done while holding the lock (see code beginning
with comment "Make additional rdata chain entries for the backup blocks").

Admittedly you could sum up the total length quite easily in the earlier
loop, before we grab the lock, where we calculate the CRC of the backup
blocks ("Now add the backup block headers and data into the CRC"). That
would be a smaller patch.

> Please try again to explain what you're doing?

Ok: I'm moving the creation of rdata entries for backup blocks outside
the critical section, so that it's done before grabbing the lock. I'm
also moving the CRC calculation so that it's done after all the rdata
entries have been created, including the ones for backup blocks. It's
more readable to do it that way, as a separate step, instead of
sprinkling the COMP_CRC macros in many places.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-15 23:37:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Heikki Linnakangas

>> Please try again to explain what you're doing?
>

> Ok: I'm moving the creation of rdata entries for backup blocks outside the
> critical section, so that it's done before grabbing the lock. I'm also
> moving the CRC calculation so that it's done after all the rdata entries
> have been created, including the ones for backup blocks. It's more readable
> to do it that way, as a separate step, instead of sprinkling the COMP_CRC
> macros in many places.

There's a comment that says we can't undo the linking of the rdata
chains, but it looks like a reversible process to me.

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-15 23:42:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Heikki Linnakangas

>> unless you are proposing to remove
>> the prev_link from the scope of the CRC, which is not exactly a
>> penalty-free change.
>

> We could CRC the rest of the record header before getting the lock, though,
> and only include the prev-link while holding the lock. I micro-benchmarked
> that a little bit, but didn't see much benefit from doing just that. Once
> you do more drastic changes so that the lock doesn't need to be held while
> copying the data and calculating the CRC of the record header, so that those
> things can be done in parallel, it matters even less.

You missed your cue to discuss leaving the prev link out of the CRC altogether.

On its own that sounds dangerous, but its not. When we need to confirm
the prev link we already know what we expect it to be, so CRC-ing it
is overkill. That isn't true of any other part of the WAL record, so
the prev link is the only thing we can relax, but thats OK because we
can CRC check everything else outside of the locked section.

That isn't my idea, but I'm happy to put it on the table since I'm not shy.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-16 03:27:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> You missed your cue to discuss leaving the prev link out of the CRC altogether.

> On its own that sounds dangerous, but its not. When we need to confirm
> the prev link we already know what we expect it to be, so CRC-ing it
> is overkill. That isn't true of any other part of the WAL record, so
> the prev link is the only thing we can relax, but thats OK because we
> can CRC check everything else outside of the locked section.

> That isn't my idea, but I'm happy to put it on the table since I'm not shy.

I'm glad it's not your idea, because it's a bad one. A large part of
the point of CRC'ing WAL records is to guard against torn-page problems
in the WAL files, and doing things like that would give up a significant
part of that protection, because there would no longer be any assurance
that the body of a WAL record had anything to do with its prev_link.

Consider a scenario like this:

* We write a WAL record that starts 8 bytes before a sector boundary,
so that the prev_link is in one sector and the rest of the record in
the next one(s).

* Time passes, and we recycle that WAL file.

* We write another WAL record that starts 8 bytes before the same sector
boundary, so that the prev_link is in one sector and the rest of the
record in the next one(s).

* System crashes, after having written out the earlier sector but not
the later one(s).

On restart, the replay code will see a prev_link that matches what it
expects. If the CRC for the remainder of the record is not dependent
on the prev_link, then the remainder of the old record will look good
too, and we'll attempt to replay it, n*16MB too late.

Including the prev_link in the CRC adds a significant amount of
protection against such problems. We should not remove this protection
in the name of shaving a few cycles.

regards, tom lane

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-16 12:07:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16.12.2011 05:27, Tom Lane wrote:
> * We write a WAL record that starts 8 bytes before a sector boundary,
> so that the prev_link is in one sector and the rest of the record in
> the next one(s).

prev-link is not the first field in the header. The CRC is.

> * Time passes, and we recycle that WAL file.
>
> * We write another WAL record that starts 8 bytes before the same sector
> boundary, so that the prev_link is in one sector and the rest of the
> record in the next one(s).
>
> * System crashes, after having written out the earlier sector but not
> the later one(s).
>
> On restart, the replay code will see a prev_link that matches what it
> expects. If the CRC for the remainder of the record is not dependent
> on the prev_link, then the remainder of the old record will look good
> too, and we'll attempt to replay it, n*16MB too late.

The CRC would be in the previous sector with the prev-link, so the CRC
of the old record would have to match the CRC of the new record. I guess
that's not totally impossible, though - there could be some WAL-logged
operations where the payload of the WAL record is often exactly the
same. Like a heap clean record, when the same page is repeatedly pruned.

> Including the prev_link in the CRC adds a significant amount of
> protection against such problems. We should not remove this protection
> in the name of shaving a few cycles.

Yeah. I did some quick testing with a patch to leave prev-link out of
the calculation, and move the record CRC calculation outside the lock,
too. I don't remember the numbers, but while it did make some
difference, it didn't seem worthwhile.

Anyway, I'm looking at ways to make the memcpy() of the payload happen
without the lock, in parallel, and once you do that the record header
CRC calculation can be done in parallel, too. That makes it irrelevant
from a performance point of view whether the prev-link is included in
the CRC or not.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-16 12:37:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Heikki Linnakangas

> Anyway, I'm looking at ways to make the memcpy() of the payload happen
> without the lock, in parallel, and once you do that the record header CRC
> calculation can be done in parallel, too. That makes it irrelevant from a
> performance point of view whether the prev-link is included in the CRC or
> not.

Better plan. So we keep the prev link in the CRC.

I already proposed a design for that using page-level share locks any
reason not to go with that?

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-16 12:50:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16.12.2011 14:37, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>
>> Anyway, I'm looking at ways to make the memcpy() of the payload happen
>> without the lock, in parallel, and once you do that the record header CRC
>> calculation can be done in parallel, too. That makes it irrelevant from a
>> performance point of view whether the prev-link is included in the CRC or
>> not.
>
> Better plan. So we keep the prev link in the CRC.
>
> I already proposed a design for that using page-level share locks any
> reason not to go with that?

Sorry, I must've missed that. Got a link?

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-16 13:03:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 16.12.2011 14:37, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, I'm looking at ways to make the memcpy() of the payload happen
>>> without the lock, in parallel, and once you do that the record header CRC
>>> calculation can be done in parallel, too. That makes it irrelevant from a
>>> performance point of view whether the prev-link is included in the CRC or
>>> not.
>>

>> Better plan. So we keep the prev link in the CRC.
>>
>> I already proposed a design for that using page-level share locks any
>> reason not to go with that?
>

> Sorry, I must've missed that. Got a link?

From nearly 4 years ago.

http://grokbase.com/t/postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008/02/reworking-wal-locking/145qrhllcqeqlfzntvn7kjefijey

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-16 13:42:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16.12.2011 15:03, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> On 16.12.2011 14:37, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>>
>>> I already proposed a design for that using page-level share locks any
>>> reason not to go with that?
>>
>> Sorry, I must've missed that. Got a link?
>
> From nearly 4 years ago.
>
> http://grokbase.com/t/postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008/02/reworking-wal-locking/145qrhllcqeqlfzntvn7kjefijey

Ah, thanks. That is similar to what I'm experimenting, but a second
lwlock is still fairly heavy-weight. I think with many backends, you
will be beaten badly by contention on the spinlocks alone.

I'll polish up and post what I've been experimenting with, so we can
discuss that.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-23 08:13:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16.12.2011 15:42, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 16.12.2011 15:03, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Sorry, I must've missed that. Got a link?
>>
>> From nearly 4 years ago.
>>
>> http://grokbase.com/t/postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008/02/reworking-wal-locking/145qrhllcqeqlfzntvn7kjefijey
>>

> Ah, thanks. That is similar to what I'm experimenting, but a second
> lwlock is still fairly heavy-weight. I think with many backends, you
> will be beaten badly by contention on the spinlocks alone.
>
> I'll polish up and post what I've been experimenting with, so we can
> discuss that.

So, here's a WIP patch of what I've been working on. The WAL insertions
is split into two stages:

1. Reserve the space from the WAL stream. This is done while holding a
spinlock. The page holding the reserved space doesn't necessary need to
be in cache yet, the reservation can run ahead of the WAL buffer cache.
(quick testing suggests that a lwlock is too heavy-weight for this)

2. Ensure the page is in the WAL buffer cache. If not, initialize it,
evicting old pages if needed. Then finish the CRC calculation of the
header and memcpy the record in place. (if the record spans multiple
pages, it operates on one page at a time, to avoid problems with running
out of WAL buffers)

As long as wal_buffers is high enough, and the I/O can keep up, stage 2
can happen in parallel in many backends. The WAL writer process
pre-initializes new pages ahead of the insertions, so regular backends
rarely need to do that.

When a page is written out, with XLogWrite(), you need to wait for any
in-progress insertions to the pages you're about to write out to finish.
For that, every backend has slot with an XLogRecPtr in shared memory.
Iẗ́'s set to the position where that backend is currently inserting to.
If there's no insertion in-progress, it's invalid, but when it's valid
it acts like a barrier, so that no-one is allowed to XLogWrite() beyond
that position. That's very lightweight to the backends, but I'm using
busy-waiting to wait on an insertion to finish ATM. That should be
replaced with something smarter, that's the biggest missing part of the
patch.

One simple way to test the performance impact of this is:

psql -c "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS foo; CREATE TABLE foo (id int4);
CHECKPOINT" postgres
echo "BEGIN; INSERT INTO foo SELECT i FROM generate_series(1, 10000) i;
ROLLBACK" > parallel-insert-test.sql
pgbench -n -T 10 -c4 -f parallel-insert-test.sql postgres

On my dual-core laptop, this patch increases the tps on that from about
60 to 110.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-23 08:15:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23.12.2011 10:13, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> So, here's a WIP patch of what I've been working on.

And here's the patch I forgot to attach..

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-1.patch text/x-diff 86.8 KB

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-23 13:23:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 23.12.2011 10:13, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> So, here's a WIP patch of what I've been working on.
>
> And here's the patch I forgot to attach..

Fails regression tests for me. I found this in postmaster.log:

PANIC: could not find WAL buffer for 0/2ECA438STATEMENT: ANALYZE onek2;
LOG: stuck waiting upto 0/3000000
LOG: server process (PID 34529) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
DETAIL: Failed process was running: ANALYZE onek2;

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-23 19:54:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23.12.2011 15:23, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> On 23.12.2011 10:13, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> So, here's a WIP patch of what I've been working on.
>>
>> And here's the patch I forgot to attach..
>
> Fails regression tests for me. I found this in postmaster.log:
>
> PANIC: could not find WAL buffer for 0/2ECA438STATEMENT: ANALYZE onek2;
> LOG: stuck waiting upto 0/3000000
> LOG: server process (PID 34529) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
> DETAIL: Failed process was running: ANALYZE onek2;

Sorry. Last minute changes, didn't retest properly.. Here's another attempt.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-2.patch text/x-diff 86.8 KB

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-24 09:48:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Sorry. Last minute changes, didn't retest properly.. Here's another attempt.

When I tested the patch, initdb failed:

$ initdb -D data
initializing dependencies ... PANIC: could not locate a valid checkpoint record

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-24 19:41:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On its own that sounds dangerous, but its not. When we need to confirm
>> the prev link we already know what we expect it to be, so CRC-ing it
>> is overkill. That isn't true of any other part of the WAL record, so
>> the prev link is the only thing we can relax, but thats OK because we
>> can CRC check everything else outside of the locked section.
>
>> That isn't my idea, but I'm happy to put it on the table since I'm not shy.
>
> I'm glad it's not your idea, because it's a bad one.

I'll take the blame or credit here.

> A large part of
> the point of CRC'ing WAL records is to guard against torn-page problems
> in the WAL files, and doing things like that would give up a significant
> part of that protection, because there would no longer be any assurance
> that the body of a WAL record had anything to do with its prev_link.

Hm, I hadn't considered the possibility of a prev_link being the only
thing left over from a torn page. As Heikki pointed out having the CRC
and the rest of the record on opposite sides of the prev_link does
seem like convincing protection but it's a lot more fiddly and hard to
explain the dependencies this way.

Another thought that was discussed in the same dinner was separating
the CRC into a separate record that would cover all the WAL since the
last CRC. These would only need to be emitted when there's a WAL sync,
not on every record. I think someone showed some benchmarks claiming
that a significant overhead with the CRC was the startup and finishing
time for doing lots of small chunks. If it processes larger blocks it
might be able to make more efficient use of the memory bandwidth. I'm
not entirely convinced of that myself but it bears some
experimentation.

--
greg

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-12-25 19:48:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Sorry. Last minute changes, didn't retest properly.. Here's another attempt.

I tried this one out on Nate Boley's system. Looks pretty good.

m = master, x = with xloginsert-scale-2 patch. shared_buffers = 8GB,
maintenance_work_mem = 1GB, synchronous_commit = off,
checkpoint_segments = 300, checkpoint_timeout = 15min,
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9, wal_writer_delay = 20ms. pgbench,
scale factor 100, median of five five-minute runs.

Permanent tables:

m01 tps = 631.875547 (including connections establishing)
x01 tps = 611.443724 (including connections establishing)
m08 tps = 4573.701237 (including connections establishing)
x08 tps = 4576.242333 (including connections establishing)
m16 tps = 7697.783265 (including connections establishing)
x16 tps = 7837.028713 (including connections establishing)
m24 tps = 11613.690878 (including connections establishing)
x24 tps = 12924.027954 (including connections establishing)
m32 tps = 10684.931858 (including connections establishing)
x32 tps = 14168.419730 (including connections establishing)
m80 tps = 10259.628774 (including connections establishing)
x80 tps = 13864.651340 (including connections establishing)

And, on unlogged tables:

m01 tps = 681.805851 (including connections establishing)
x01 tps = 665.120212 (including connections establishing)
m08 tps = 4753.823067 (including connections establishing)
x08 tps = 4638.690397 (including connections establishing)
m16 tps = 8150.519673 (including connections establishing)
x16 tps = 8082.504658 (including connections establishing)
m24 tps = 14069.077657 (including connections establishing)
x24 tps = 13934.955205 (including connections establishing)
m32 tps = 18736.317650 (including connections establishing)
x32 tps = 18888.585420 (including connections establishing)
m80 tps = 17709.683344 (including connections establishing)
x80 tps = 18330.488958 (including connections establishing)

Unfortunately, it does look like there is some raw loss of performance
when WALInsertLock is NOT badly contended; hence the drop-off at a
single client on permanent tables, and up through 24 clients on
unlogged tables.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-01-07 09:31:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25.12.2011 21:48, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> Sorry. Last minute changes, didn't retest properly.. Here's another attempt.
>
> I tried this one out on Nate Boley's system. Looks pretty good.
> [pgbench results]

Great, thanks for the testing!

> Unfortunately, it does look like there is some raw loss of performance
> when WALInsertLock is NOT badly contended; hence the drop-off at a
> single client on permanent tables, and up through 24 clients on
> unlogged tables.

Hmm, I haven't been able to put my finger on what's causing that.

Anyway, here's a new version of the patch. It no longer busy-waits for
in-progress insertions to finish, and handles xlog-switches. This is now
feature-complete. It's a pretty complicated patch, so I would appreciate
more eyeballs on it. And benchmarking again.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-4.patch text/x-diff 95.8 KB

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-01-08 20:22:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> m01 tps = 631.875547 (including connections establishing)
> x01 tps = 611.443724 (including connections establishing)
> m08 tps = 4573.701237 (including connections establishing)
> x08 tps = 4576.242333 (including connections establishing)
> m16 tps = 7697.783265 (including connections establishing)
> x16 tps = 7837.028713 (including connections establishing)
> m24 tps = 11613.690878 (including connections establishing)
> x24 tps = 12924.027954 (including connections establishing)
> m32 tps = 10684.931858 (including connections establishing)
> x32 tps = 14168.419730 (including connections establishing)
> m80 tps = 10259.628774 (including connections establishing)
> x80 tps = 13864.651340 (including connections establishing)

I think a 5% loss on 1 session is worth a 40% gain on a full loaded system.

Well done Heikki.

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-01-09 13:44:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Heikki Linnakangas

> Anyway, here's a new version of the patch. It no longer busy-waits for
> in-progress insertions to finish, and handles xlog-switches. This is now
> feature-complete. It's a pretty complicated patch, so I would appreciate
> more eyeballs on it. And benchmarking again.

Took me awhile to understand why the data structure for the insertion
slots is so complex. Why not have slots per buffer? That would be
easier to understand and slots are very small. Not sure if its a good
idea, but we should explain the design options around that choice.

Can we avoid having spinlocks on the slots altogether? If we have a
page number (int) and an LSN, inserters would set LSN and then set
page number. Anybody waiting for slots would stop if page number is
zero since that means its not complete yet. So readers look at page
number first and aren't allowed to look at LSN without valid page
number.

Page number would be useful in working out where to stop when doing
background flushes, which we need for Group Commit, which is arriving
soon for this release.

Can we also try aligning the actual insertions onto cache lines rather
than just MAXALIGNing them? The WAL header fills half a cache line as
it is, so many other records will fit nicely. I'd like to see what
that does to space consumption, but it might be a useful option at
least.

I'd like to see test results with FPWs turned off and CACHEALIGNed
inserts. Again, we're planning on avoiding FPWs in future, so it would
be sensible to check the tuning in that configuration also.

GetInsertRecPtr() should return the XLogRecPtr of the latest
allocation. IMHO that is what we need for checkpoints and the
walsender doesn't really matter.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-01-09 14:29:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.01.2012 15:44, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>
>> Anyway, here's a new version of the patch. It no longer busy-waits for
>> in-progress insertions to finish, and handles xlog-switches. This is now
>> feature-complete. It's a pretty complicated patch, so I would appreciate
>> more eyeballs on it. And benchmarking again.
>
> Took me awhile to understand why the data structure for the insertion
> slots is so complex. Why not have slots per buffer? That would be
> easier to understand and slots are very small.

Hmm, how would that work?

> Can we avoid having spinlocks on the slots altogether? If we have a
> page number (int) and an LSN, inserters would set LSN and then set
> page number. Anybody waiting for slots would stop if page number is
> zero since that means its not complete yet. So readers look at page
> number first and aren't allowed to look at LSN without valid page
> number.

The LSN on a slot is set in ReserveXLogInsertLocation(), while holding
the insertpos_lck spinlock. The inserter doesn't acquire the per-slot
spinlock at that point, it relies on the fact that no-one will look at
the slot until the shared nextslot variable has been incremented. The
spinlock is only acquired when updating the pointer, which only happens
when crossing a WAL page, which isn't that performance-criticial, and
when the insertion is finished. It would be nice to get rid of the
spinlock acquisition when the insertion is finished, but I don't see any
easy way around that. The spinlock is needed to make sure that when the
inserter clears its slot, it can atomically check the waiter field.

The theory is that contention on those per-slot spinlocks is very rare.
Profiling this patch with "perf", it looks like the bottleneck is the
insertpos_lck spinlock.

> Page number would be useful in working out where to stop when doing
> background flushes, which we need for Group Commit, which is arriving
> soon for this release.

Ok, I'll have to just take your word on that :-). I don't see why Group
Commit needs to care about page boundaries, but the slot data structure
I used already allows you to check fairly how far you write out the WAL
without having to wait for any in-progress insertions to complete.

> Can we also try aligning the actual insertions onto cache lines rather
> than just MAXALIGNing them? The WAL header fills half a cache line as
> it is, so many other records will fit nicely. I'd like to see what
> that does to space consumption, but it might be a useful option at
> least.

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. That would mean having gaps in the
in-memory WAL cache, so that when it's written out, you'd need to stitch
together the pieces to form the WAL that's actually written to disk. Or
just leave the gaps in the on-disk format, if we're willing to change
the WAL format for this, but I don't think we want make our WAL any
larger than it already is.

I've written this patch avoiding WAL format changes, but if we're
willing to do that, there's a few things we could do that would help.
For one, the logic in ReserveXLogInsertLocation() that figures out where
in the WAL stream the record begins and where it ends could be made a
lot simpler. At the moment, we refuse to split a WAL record header
across WAL pages, and because of that, the number of bytes occupied by a
WAL record depends on where in the WAL it's written. If we changed that,
reserving space from the WAL for a record that's N bytes long could be
done essentially as "CurrPos += N". There's some complications, like
having to keep track of the prev-link too, but I believe it would be
possible to get rid of the spinlock and implement
ReserveXLogInsertLocation() as a single atomic fetch-and-add instruction.

> GetInsertRecPtr() should return the XLogRecPtr of the latest
> allocation. IMHO that is what we need for checkpoints and the
> walsender doesn't really matter.

Ok. Thanks looking at the patch!

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-01-09 19:59:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Heikki Linnakangas

>> Can we also try aligning the actual insertions onto cache lines rather
>> than just MAXALIGNing them? The WAL header fills half a cache line as
>> it is, so many other records will fit nicely. I'd like to see what
>> that does to space consumption, but it might be a useful option at
>> least.
>

> Hmm, that's an interesting thought. That would mean having gaps in the
> in-memory WAL cache, so that when it's written out, you'd need to stitch
> together the pieces to form the WAL that's actually written to disk. Or just
> leave the gaps in the on-disk format, if we're willing to change the WAL
> format for this, but I don't think we want make our WAL any larger than it
> already is.

I don't think that would require any format changes at all. We never
check that the total length of the WAL matches the size of the
contents do we? So if the record is just a little too big for its
contents, it will still all work fine. Recovery just calls rmgr
functions, so it doesn't know how big things should be. _redo routines
don't do local validation anywhere that I'm aware of. Sure, they cast
the record to a specific type, but that doesn't prevent the record
from being longer that _redo wants it to be. Try it.

You could probably do it for individual record types with an
additional rdata item.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Scaling XLog insertion (was Re: Moving more work outside WALInsertLock)
Date: 2012-01-14 14:32:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's another version of the patch to make XLogInsert less of a
bottleneck on multi-CPU systems. The basic idea is the same as before,
but several bugs have been fixed, and lots of misc. clean up has been done.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-5.patch text/x-diff 89.5 KB

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-01-20 13:32:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Here's another version of the patch to make XLogInsert less of a bottleneck
> on multi-CPU systems. The basic idea is the same as before, but several bugs
> have been fixed, and lots of misc. clean up has been done.

This seems to need a rebase.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-01-20 14:11:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20.01.2012 15:32, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> Here's another version of the patch to make XLogInsert less of a bottleneck
>> on multi-CPU systems. The basic idea is the same as before, but several bugs
>> have been fixed, and lots of misc. clean up has been done.
>
> This seems to need a rebase.

Here you go.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-6.patch text/x-diff 89.5 KB

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-01-20 14:37:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 20.01.2012 15:32, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's another version of the patch to make XLogInsert less of a
>>> bottleneck
>>> on multi-CPU systems. The basic idea is the same as before, but several
>>> bugs
>>> have been fixed, and lots of misc. clean up has been done.
>>

>> This seems to need a rebase.
>

> Here you go.

I put myself down as reviewer for this. I'm planning to review this
early next week, once I've finished Fujii-san's patches.

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-01-31 15:35:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 20.01.2012 15:32, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's another version of the patch to make XLogInsert less of a
>>> bottleneck
>>> on multi-CPU systems. The basic idea is the same as before, but several
>>> bugs
>>> have been fixed, and lots of misc. clean up has been done.
>>

>> This seems to need a rebase.
>

> Here you go.

The patch seems to need a rebase again.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-02 07:46:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 31.01.2012 17:35, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> On 20.01.2012 15:32, Robert Haas wrote:

>>> This seems to need a rebase.
>>

>> Here you go.
>
> The patch seems to need a rebase again.

Here you go again. It conflicted with the group commit patch, and the
patch to WAL-log and track changes to full_page_writes setting.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-7.patch text/x-diff 94.0 KB

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-08 18:32:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 31.01.2012 17:35, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>  wrote:

>>> Here you go.
>>

>> The patch seems to need a rebase again.
>

> Here you go again. It conflicted with the group commit patch, and the patch
> to WAL-log and track changes to full_page_writes setting.

After applying this patch and then forcing crashes, upon recovery the
database is not correct.

If I make a table with 10,000 rows and then after that intensively
update it using a unique key:

update foo set count=count+1 where foobar=?

Then after the crash there are less than 10,000 visible rows:

select count(*) from foo

This not a subtle thing, it happens every time. I get counts of
between 1973 and 8827. Without this patch I always get exactly
10,000.

I don't really know where to start on tracking this down.

Cheers,

Jeff

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-09 10:25:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> On 31.01.2012 17:35, Fujii Masao wrote:

>>> The patch seems to need a rebase again.
>>

>> Here you go again. It conflicted with the group commit patch, and the patch
>> to WAL-log and track changes to full_page_writes setting.
>

> After applying this patch and then forcing crashes, upon recovery the
> database is not correct.
>
> If I make a table with 10,000 rows and then after that intensively
> update it using a unique key:
>
> update foo set count=count+1 where foobar=?
>
> Then after the crash there are less than 10,000 visible rows:
>
> select count(*) from foo
>
> This not a subtle thing, it happens every time.  I get counts of
> between 1973 and 8827.  Without this patch I always get exactly
> 10,000.
>
> I don't really know where to start on tracking this down.

Similar problem happened on my test. When I executed CREATE TABLE and
shut down the server with immediate mode, after recovery I could not see the
created table. Here are the server log of recovery with wal_debug = on:

LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-02-09 19:18:50 JST
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG: redo starts at 0/179CC90
LOG: REDO @ 0/179CC90; LSN 0/179CCB8: prev 0/179CC30; xid 0; len 4:
XLOG - nextOid: 24576
LOG: REDO @ 0/179CCB8; LSN 0/179CCE8: prev 0/179CC90; xid 0; len 16:
Storage - file create: base/12277/16384
LOG: REDO @ 0/179CCE8; LSN 0/179DDE0: prev 0/179CCB8; xid 998; len
21; bkpb1: Heap - insert: rel 1663/12277/12014; tid 7/22
LOG: there is no contrecord flag in log file 0, segment 1, offset 7987200
LOG: redo done at 0/179CCE8

According to the log "there is no contrecord flag", ISTM the path treats the
contrecord of backup block incorrectly, and which causes the problem.

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-09 11:02:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Here you go again. It conflicted with the group commit patch, and the patch
>>> to WAL-log and track changes to full_page_writes setting.
>>

>> After applying this patch and then forcing crashes, upon recovery the
>> database is not correct.
>>
>> If I make a table with 10,000 rows and then after that intensively
>> update it using a unique key:
>>
>> update foo set count=count+1 where foobar=?
>>
>> Then after the crash there are less than 10,000 visible rows:
>>
>> select count(*) from foo
>>
>> This not a subtle thing, it happens every time.  I get counts of
>> between 1973 and 8827.  Without this patch I always get exactly
>> 10,000.
>>
>> I don't really know where to start on tracking this down.
>
> Similar problem happened on my test. When I executed CREATE TABLE and
> shut down the server with immediate mode, after recovery I could not see the
> created table. Here are the server log of recovery with wal_debug = on:
>
> LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-02-09 19:18:50 JST
> LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
> LOG:  redo starts at 0/179CC90
> LOG:  REDO @ 0/179CC90; LSN 0/179CCB8: prev 0/179CC30; xid 0; len 4:
> XLOG - nextOid: 24576
> LOG:  REDO @ 0/179CCB8; LSN 0/179CCE8: prev 0/179CC90; xid 0; len 16:
> Storage - file create: base/12277/16384
> LOG:  REDO @ 0/179CCE8; LSN 0/179DDE0: prev 0/179CCB8; xid 998; len
> 21; bkpb1: Heap - insert: rel 1663/12277/12014; tid 7/22
> LOG:  there is no contrecord flag in log file 0, segment 1, offset 7987200
> LOG:  redo done at 0/179CCE8
>
> According to the log "there is no contrecord flag", ISTM the path treats the
> contrecord of backup block incorrectly, and which causes the problem.

Yep, as far as I read the patch, it seems to have forgotten to set
XLP_FIRST_IS_CONTRECORD flag.

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-12 23:04:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:02 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> After applying this patch and then forcing crashes, upon recovery the
>>> database is not correct.
>>>
>>> If I make a table with 10,000 rows and then after that intensively
>>> update it using a unique key:
>>>
>>> update foo set count=count+1 where foobar=?
>>>
>>> Then after the crash there are less than 10,000 visible rows:
>>>
>>> select count(*) from foo
>>>
>>> This not a subtle thing, it happens every time.  I get counts of
>>> between 1973 and 8827.  Without this patch I always get exactly
>>> 10,000.
>>>
>>> I don't really know where to start on tracking this down.
>>
>> Similar problem happened on my test. When I executed CREATE TABLE and
>> shut down the server with immediate mode, after recovery I could not see the
>> created table. Here are the server log of recovery with wal_debug = on:
>>
>> LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-02-09 19:18:50 JST
>> LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
>> LOG:  redo starts at 0/179CC90
>> LOG:  REDO @ 0/179CC90; LSN 0/179CCB8: prev 0/179CC30; xid 0; len 4:
>> XLOG - nextOid: 24576
>> LOG:  REDO @ 0/179CCB8; LSN 0/179CCE8: prev 0/179CC90; xid 0; len 16:
>> Storage - file create: base/12277/16384
>> LOG:  REDO @ 0/179CCE8; LSN 0/179DDE0: prev 0/179CCB8; xid 998; len
>> 21; bkpb1: Heap - insert: rel 1663/12277/12014; tid 7/22
>> LOG:  there is no contrecord flag in log file 0, segment 1, offset 7987200
>> LOG:  redo done at 0/179CCE8
>>
>> According to the log "there is no contrecord flag", ISTM the path treats the
>> contrecord of backup block incorrectly, and which causes the problem.
>
> Yep, as far as I read the patch, it seems to have forgotten to set
> XLP_FIRST_IS_CONTRECORD flag.

Attached is my quick and dirty attempt to set XLP_FIRST_IS_CONTRECORD.
I have no idea if I did it correctly, in particular if calling
GetXLogBuffer(CurrPos) twice is OK or if GetXLogBuffer has side
effects that make that a bad thing to do. I'm not proposing it as the
real fix, I just wanted to get around this problem in order to do more
testing.

It does get rid of the "there is no contrecord flag" errors, but
recover still does not work.

Now the count of tuples in the table is always correct (I never
provoke a crash during the initial table load), but sometimes updates
to those tuples that were reported to have been committed are lost.

This is more subtle, it does not happen on every crash.

It seems that when recovery ends on "record with zero length at...",
that recovery is correct.

But when it ends on "invalid magic number 0000 in log file.." then the
recovery is screwed up.

Cheers,

Jeff

Attachment Content-Type Size
xloginsert_fix.patch application/octet-stream 1.1 KB

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-13 11:37:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13.02.2012 01:04, Jeff Janes wrote:
> Attached is my quick and dirty attempt to set XLP_FIRST_IS_CONTRECORD.
> I have no idea if I did it correctly, in particular if calling
> GetXLogBuffer(CurrPos) twice is OK or if GetXLogBuffer has side
> effects that make that a bad thing to do. I'm not proposing it as the
> real fix, I just wanted to get around this problem in order to do more
> testing.

Thanks. That's basically the right approach. Attached patch contains a
cleaned up version of that.

> It does get rid of the "there is no contrecord flag" errors, but
> recover still does not work.
>
> Now the count of tuples in the table is always correct (I never
> provoke a crash during the initial table load), but sometimes updates
> to those tuples that were reported to have been committed are lost.
>
> This is more subtle, it does not happen on every crash.
>
> It seems that when recovery ends on "record with zero length at...",
> that recovery is correct.
>
> But when it ends on "invalid magic number 0000 in log file.." then the
> recovery is screwed up.

Can you write a self-contained test case for that? I've been trying to
reproduce that by running the regression tests and pgbench with a
streaming replication standby, which should be pretty much the same as
crash recovery. No luck this far.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-8.patch text/x-diff 94.5 KB

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-13 17:13:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 13.02.2012 01:04, Jeff Janes wrote:
>>
>> Attached is my quick and dirty attempt to set XLP_FIRST_IS_CONTRECORD.
>>  I have no idea if I did it correctly, in particular if calling
>> GetXLogBuffer(CurrPos) twice is OK or if GetXLogBuffer has side
>> effects that make that a bad thing to do.  I'm not proposing it as the
>> real fix, I just wanted to get around this problem in order to do more
>> testing.
>

> Thanks. That's basically the right approach. Attached patch contains a
> cleaned up version of that.
>

>> It does get rid of the "there is no contrecord flag" errors, but
>> recover still does not work.
>>
>> Now the count of tuples in the table is always correct (I never
>> provoke a crash during the initial table load), but sometimes updates
>> to those tuples that were reported to have been committed are lost.
>>
>> This is more subtle, it does not happen on every crash.
>>
>> It seems that when recovery ends on "record with zero length at...",
>> that recovery is correct.
>>
>> But when it ends on "invalid magic number 0000 in log file.." then the
>> recovery is screwed up.
>

> Can you write a self-contained test case for that? I've been trying to
> reproduce that by running the regression tests and pgbench with a streaming
> replication standby, which should be pretty much the same as crash recovery.
> No luck this far.

Probably I could reproduce the same problem as Jeff got. Here is the test case:

$ initdb -D data
$ pg_ctl -D data start
$ psql -c "create table t (i int); insert into t
values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t"
$ pg_ctl -D data stop -m i
$ pg_ctl -D data start

The crash recovery emitted the following server logs:

LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-02-14 02:07:01 JST
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG: redo starts at 0/179CC90
LOG: invalid magic number 0000 in log file 0, segment 1, offset 8060928
LOG: redo done at 0/17AD858
LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
LOG: autovacuum launcher started

After recovery, I could not see the table "t" which I created before:

$ psql -c "select count(*) from t"
ERROR: relation "t" does not exist

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-15 16:01:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13.02.2012 19:13, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> On 13.02.2012 01:04, Jeff Janes wrote:
>>>
>>> Attached is my quick and dirty attempt to set XLP_FIRST_IS_CONTRECORD.
>>> I have no idea if I did it correctly, in particular if calling
>>> GetXLogBuffer(CurrPos) twice is OK or if GetXLogBuffer has side
>>> effects that make that a bad thing to do. I'm not proposing it as the
>>> real fix, I just wanted to get around this problem in order to do more
>>> testing.
>>

>> Thanks. That's basically the right approach. Attached patch contains a
>> cleaned up version of that.
>>

>>> It does get rid of the "there is no contrecord flag" errors, but
>>> recover still does not work.
>>>
>>> Now the count of tuples in the table is always correct (I never
>>> provoke a crash during the initial table load), but sometimes updates
>>> to those tuples that were reported to have been committed are lost.
>>>
>>> This is more subtle, it does not happen on every crash.
>>>
>>> It seems that when recovery ends on "record with zero length at...",
>>> that recovery is correct.
>>>
>>> But when it ends on "invalid magic number 0000 in log file.." then the
>>> recovery is screwed up.
>>

>> Can you write a self-contained test case for that? I've been trying to
>> reproduce that by running the regression tests and pgbench with a streaming
>> replication standby, which should be pretty much the same as crash recovery.
>> No luck this far.
>
> Probably I could reproduce the same problem as Jeff got. Here is the test case:
>
> $ initdb -D data
> $ pg_ctl -D data start
> $ psql -c "create table t (i int); insert into t
> values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t"
> $ pg_ctl -D data stop -m i
> $ pg_ctl -D data start
>
> The crash recovery emitted the following server logs:
>
> LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-02-14 02:07:01 JST
> LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
> LOG: redo starts at 0/179CC90
> LOG: invalid magic number 0000 in log file 0, segment 1, offset 8060928
> LOG: redo done at 0/17AD858
> LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
> LOG: autovacuum launcher started
>
> After recovery, I could not see the table "t" which I created before:
>
> $ psql -c "select count(*) from t"
> ERROR: relation "t" does not exist

Are you still seeing this failure with the latest patch I posted
(http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4F38F5E5.8050203@enterprisedb.com)?
That includes Jeff's fix for the original crash you and Jeff saw. With
that version, I can't get a crash anymore. I also can't reproduce the
inconsistency that Jeff still saw with his fix
(http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU=1zGWp2QnTjiyFe0VMu4gc+MoEexXYaVC2u=+ORfiYj6ow@mail.gmail.com).
Jeff, can you clarify if you're still seeing an issue with the latest
version of the patch? If so, can you give a self-contained test case for
that?

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-15 16:52:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 13.02.2012 19:13, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>  wrote:

>>> Thanks. That's basically the right approach. Attached patch contains a
>>> cleaned up version of that.

>>> Can you write a self-contained test case for that? I've been trying to
>>> reproduce that by running the regression tests and pgbench with a
>>> streaming
>>> replication standby, which should be pretty much the same as crash
>>> recovery.
>>> No luck this far.
>>

>> Probably I could reproduce the same problem as Jeff got. Here is the test
>> case:
>>
>> $ initdb -D data
>> $ pg_ctl -D data start
>> $ psql -c "create table t (i int); insert into t
>> values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t"
>> $ pg_ctl -D data stop -m i
>> $ pg_ctl -D data start
>>
>> The crash recovery emitted the following server logs:
>>
>> LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-02-14
>> 02:07:01 JST
>> LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
>> progress
>> LOG:  redo starts at 0/179CC90
>> LOG:  invalid magic number 0000 in log file 0, segment 1, offset 8060928
>> LOG:  redo done at 0/17AD858
>> LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
>> LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
>>
>> After recovery, I could not see the table "t" which I created before:
>>
>> $ psql -c "select count(*) from t"
>> ERROR:  relation "t" does not exist
>

> Are you still seeing this failure with the latest patch I posted
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4F38F5E5.8050203@enterprisedb.com)?

Yes. Just to be safe, I again applied the latest patch to HEAD,
compiled that and tried
the same test. Then unfortunately I got the same failure again.

I ran the configure with '--enable-debug' '--enable-cassert'
'CPPFLAGS=-DWAL_DEBUG',
and make with -j 2 option.

When I ran the test with wal_debug = on, I got the following assertion failure.

LOG: INSERT @ 0/17B3F90: prev 0/17B3F10; xid 998; len 31: Heap -
insert: rel 1663/12277/16384; tid 0/197
STATEMENT: create table t (i int); insert into t
values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t
LOG: INSERT @ 0/17B3FD0: prev 0/17B3F50; xid 998; len 31: Heap -
insert: rel 1663/12277/16384; tid 0/198
STATEMENT: create table t (i int); insert into t
values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t
TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(((bool) (((void*)(&(target->tid)) != ((void
*)0)) && ((&(target->tid))->ip_posid != 0))))", File: "heapam.c",
Line: 5578)
LOG: xlog bg flush request 0/17B4000; write 0/17A6000; flush 0/179D5C0
LOG: xlog bg flush request 0/17B4000; write 0/17B0000; flush 0/17B0000
LOG: server process (PID 16806) was terminated by signal 6: Abort trap

This might be related to the original problem which Jeff and I saw.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-15 20:02:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15.02.2012 18:52, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> Are you still seeing this failure with the latest patch I posted
>> (http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4F38F5E5.8050203@enterprisedb.com)?
>
> Yes. Just to be safe, I again applied the latest patch to HEAD,
> compiled that and tried
> the same test. Then unfortunately I got the same failure again.

Ok.

> I ran the configure with '--enable-debug' '--enable-cassert'
> 'CPPFLAGS=-DWAL_DEBUG',
> and make with -j 2 option.
>
> When I ran the test with wal_debug = on, I got the following assertion failure.
>
> LOG: INSERT @ 0/17B3F90: prev 0/17B3F10; xid 998; len 31: Heap -
> insert: rel 1663/12277/16384; tid 0/197
> STATEMENT: create table t (i int); insert into t
> values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t
> LOG: INSERT @ 0/17B3FD0: prev 0/17B3F50; xid 998; len 31: Heap -
> insert: rel 1663/12277/16384; tid 0/198
> STATEMENT: create table t (i int); insert into t
> values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t
> TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(((bool) (((void*)(&(target->tid)) != ((void
> *)0))&& ((&(target->tid))->ip_posid != 0))))", File: "heapam.c",
> Line: 5578)
> LOG: xlog bg flush request 0/17B4000; write 0/17A6000; flush 0/179D5C0
> LOG: xlog bg flush request 0/17B4000; write 0/17B0000; flush 0/17B0000
> LOG: server process (PID 16806) was terminated by signal 6: Abort trap
>
> This might be related to the original problem which Jeff and I saw.

That's strange. I made a fresh checkout, too, and applied the patch, but
still can't reproduce. I used the attached script to test it.

It's surprising that the crash happens when the records are inserted,
not at recovery. I don't see anything obviously wrong there, so could
you please take a look around in gdb and see if you can get a clue
what's going on? What's the stack trace?

--
Heikki Linnakangas

fujii-crash.sh application/x-sh 250 bytes

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-16 09:15:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 15.02.2012 18:52, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you still seeing this failure with the latest patch I posted
>>>
>>> (http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4F38F5E5.8050203@enterprisedb.com)?
>>

>> Yes. Just to be safe, I again applied the latest patch to HEAD,
>> compiled that and tried
>> the same test. Then unfortunately I got the same failure again.
>

> Ok.
>
>> I ran the configure with '--enable-debug' '--enable-cassert'
>> 'CPPFLAGS=-DWAL_DEBUG',
>> and make with -j 2 option.
>>
>> When I ran the test with wal_debug = on, I got the following assertion
>> failure.
>>
>> LOG:  INSERT @ 0/17B3F90: prev 0/17B3F10; xid 998; len 31: Heap -
>> insert: rel 1663/12277/16384; tid 0/197
>> STATEMENT:  create table t (i int); insert into t
>> values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t
>> LOG:  INSERT @ 0/17B3FD0: prev 0/17B3F50; xid 998; len 31: Heap -
>> insert: rel 1663/12277/16384; tid 0/198
>> STATEMENT:  create table t (i int); insert into t
>> values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t
>> TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(((bool) (((void*)(&(target->tid)) != ((void
>> *)0))&&  ((&(target->tid))->ip_posid != 0))))", File: "heapam.c",
>>
>> Line: 5578)
>> LOG:  xlog bg flush request 0/17B4000; write 0/17A6000; flush 0/179D5C0
>> LOG:  xlog bg flush request 0/17B4000; write 0/17B0000; flush 0/17B0000
>> LOG:  server process (PID 16806) was terminated by signal 6: Abort trap
>>
>> This might be related to the original problem which Jeff and I saw.
>

> That's strange. I made a fresh checkout, too, and applied the patch, but
> still can't reproduce. I used the attached script to test it.
>
> It's surprising that the crash happens when the records are inserted, not at
> recovery. I don't see anything obviously wrong there, so could you please
> take a look around in gdb and see if you can get a clue what's going on?
> What's the stack trace?

According to the above log messages, one strange thing is that the location
of the WAL record (i.e., 0/17B3F90) is not the same as the previous location
of the following WAL record (i.e., 0/17B3F50). Is this intentional?

BTW, when I ran the test on my Ubuntu, I could not reproduce the problem.
I could reproduce the problem only in MacOS.

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-16 11:31:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> On 15.02.2012 18:52, Fujii Masao wrote:

>>> Yes. Just to be safe, I again applied the latest patch to HEAD,
>>> compiled that and tried
>>> the same test. Then unfortunately I got the same failure again.
>>

>> Ok.
>>
>>> I ran the configure with '--enable-debug' '--enable-cassert'
>>> 'CPPFLAGS=-DWAL_DEBUG',
>>> and make with -j 2 option.
>>>
>>> When I ran the test with wal_debug = on, I got the following assertion
>>> failure.
>>>
>>> LOG:  INSERT @ 0/17B3F90: prev 0/17B3F10; xid 998; len 31: Heap -
>>> insert: rel 1663/12277/16384; tid 0/197
>>> STATEMENT:  create table t (i int); insert into t
>>> values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t
>>> LOG:  INSERT @ 0/17B3FD0: prev 0/17B3F50; xid 998; len 31: Heap -
>>> insert: rel 1663/12277/16384; tid 0/198
>>> STATEMENT:  create table t (i int); insert into t
>>> values(generate_series(1,10000)); delete from t
>>> TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(((bool) (((void*)(&(target->tid)) != ((void
>>> *)0))&&  ((&(target->tid))->ip_posid != 0))))", File: "heapam.c",
>>>
>>> Line: 5578)
>>> LOG:  xlog bg flush request 0/17B4000; write 0/17A6000; flush 0/179D5C0
>>> LOG:  xlog bg flush request 0/17B4000; write 0/17B0000; flush 0/17B0000
>>> LOG:  server process (PID 16806) was terminated by signal 6: Abort trap
>>>
>>> This might be related to the original problem which Jeff and I saw.
>>

>> That's strange. I made a fresh checkout, too, and applied the patch, but
>> still can't reproduce. I used the attached script to test it.
>>
>> It's surprising that the crash happens when the records are inserted, not at
>> recovery. I don't see anything obviously wrong there, so could you please
>> take a look around in gdb and see if you can get a clue what's going on?
>> What's the stack trace?
>
> According to the above log messages, one strange thing is that the location
> of the WAL record (i.e., 0/17B3F90) is not the same as the previous location
> of the following WAL record (i.e., 0/17B3F50). Is this intentional?
>
> BTW, when I ran the test on my Ubuntu, I could not reproduce the problem.
> I could reproduce the problem only in MacOS.

+ nextslot = Insert->nextslot;
+ if (NextSlotNo(nextslot) == lastslot)
+ {
+ /*
+ * Oops, we've "caught our tail" and the oldest slot is still in use.
+ * Have to wait for it to become vacant.
+ */
+ SpinLockRelease(&Insert->insertpos_lck);
+ WaitForXLogInsertionSlotToBecomeFree();
+ goto retry;
+ }
+ myslot = &XLogCtl->XLogInsertSlots[nextslot];
+ nextslot = NextSlotNo(nextslot);

nextslot can reach NumXLogInsertSlots, which would be a bug, I guess.
When I did the quick-fix and ran the test, I could not reproduce the problem
any more. I'm not sure if this is really the cause of the problem, though.

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-17 05:27:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 13.02.2012 01:04, Jeff Janes wrote:
>>
>> Attached is my quick and dirty attempt to set XLP_FIRST_IS_CONTRECORD.
>>  I have no idea if I did it correctly, in particular if calling
>> GetXLogBuffer(CurrPos) twice is OK or if GetXLogBuffer has side
>> effects that make that a bad thing to do.  I'm not proposing it as the
>> real fix, I just wanted to get around this problem in order to do more
>> testing.
>

> Thanks. That's basically the right approach. Attached patch contains a
> cleaned up version of that.

Got another problem: when I ran pg_stop_backup to take an online backup,
it got stuck until I had generated new WAL record. This happens because,
in the patch, when pg_stop_backup forces a switch to new WAL file, old
WAL file is not marked as archivable until next new WAL record has been
inserted, but pg_stop_backup keeps waiting for that WAL file to be archived.
OTOH, without the patch, WAL file is marked as archivable as soon as WAL
file switch occurs.

So, in short, the patch seems to handle the WAL file switch logic incorrectly.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-17 08:59:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16.02.2012 13:31, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Fujii Masao<masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> BTW, when I ran the test on my Ubuntu, I could not reproduce the problem.
>> I could reproduce the problem only in MacOS.
>
> + nextslot = Insert->nextslot;
> + if (NextSlotNo(nextslot) == lastslot)
> + {
> + /*
> + * Oops, we've "caught our tail" and the oldest slot is still in use.
> + * Have to wait for it to become vacant.
> + */
> + SpinLockRelease(&Insert->insertpos_lck);
> + WaitForXLogInsertionSlotToBecomeFree();
> + goto retry;
> + }
> + myslot =&XLogCtl->XLogInsertSlots[nextslot];
> + nextslot = NextSlotNo(nextslot);
>
> nextslot can reach NumXLogInsertSlots, which would be a bug, I guess.
> When I did the quick-fix and ran the test, I could not reproduce the problem
> any more. I'm not sure if this is really the cause of the problem, though.

Ah, I see. That explains why you only see it on some platforms -
depending on ALIGNOF_XLOG_BUFFER, there is often enough padding after
the last valid slot to accommodate the extra bogus slot. Thanks for the
debugging!

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-17 15:36:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 17.02.2012 07:27, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Got another problem: when I ran pg_stop_backup to take an online backup,
> it got stuck until I had generated new WAL record. This happens because,
> in the patch, when pg_stop_backup forces a switch to new WAL file, old
> WAL file is not marked as archivable until next new WAL record has been
> inserted, but pg_stop_backup keeps waiting for that WAL file to be archived.
> OTOH, without the patch, WAL file is marked as archivable as soon as WAL
> file switch occurs.
>
> So, in short, the patch seems to handle the WAL file switch logic incorrectly.

Yep. For a WAL-switch record, XLogInsert returns the location of the end
of the record, not the end of the empty padding space. So when the
caller flushed up to that point, it didn't flush the empty space and
therefore didn't notify the archiver.

Attached is a new version, fixing that, and off-by-one bug you pointed
out in the slot wraparound handling. I also moved code around a bit, I
think this new division of labor between the XLogInsert subroutines is
more readable.

Thanks for the testing!

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-9.patch text/x-diff 95.3 KB

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-18 18:01:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 17.02.2012 07:27, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> Got another problem: when I ran pg_stop_backup to take an online backup,
>> it got stuck until I had generated new WAL record. This happens because,
>> in the patch, when pg_stop_backup forces a switch to new WAL file, old
>> WAL file is not marked as archivable until next new WAL record has been
>> inserted, but pg_stop_backup keeps waiting for that WAL file to be
>> archived.
>> OTOH, without the patch, WAL file is marked as archivable as soon as WAL
>> file switch occurs.
>>
>> So, in short, the patch seems to handle the WAL file switch logic
>> incorrectly.
>

> Yep. For a WAL-switch record, XLogInsert returns the location of the end of
> the record, not the end of the empty padding space. So when the caller
> flushed up to that point, it didn't flush the empty space and therefore
> didn't notify the archiver.
>
> Attached is a new version, fixing that, and off-by-one bug you pointed out
> in the slot wraparound handling. I also moved code around a bit, I think
> this new division of labor between the XLogInsert subroutines is more
> readable.
>
> Thanks for the testing!

Hi Heikki,

Sorry for the week long radio silence, I haven't been able to find
much time during the week. I'll try to extract my test case from it's
quite messy testing harness and get a self-contained version, but it
will probably take a week or two to do it. I can probably refactor it
to rely just on Perl and the modules DBI, DBD::Pg, IO::Pipe and
Storable. Some of those are not core Perl modules, but they are all
common ones. Would that be a good option?

I've tested your v9 patch. I no longer see any inconsistencies or
lost transactions in the recovered database. But occasionally I get
databases that fail to recover at all.
It has always been with the exact same failed assertion, at xlog.c line 2154.

I've only seen this 4 times out of 2202 cycles of crash and recovery,
so it must be some rather obscure situation.

LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG: redo starts at 0/180001B0
LOG: unexpected pageaddr 0/15084000 in log file 0, segment 25, offset 540672
LOG: redo done at 0/19083FD0
LOG: last completed transaction was at log time 2012-02-17 11:13:50.369488-08
LOG: checkpoint starting: end-of-recovery immediate
TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(((((((uint64) (NewPageEndPtr).xlogid *
(uint64) (((uint32) 0xffffffff) / ((uint32) (16 * 1024 * 1024))) *
((uint32) (16 * 1024 * 1024))) + (NewPageEndPtr).xrecoff - 1)) / 8192)
% (XLogCtl->XLogCacheBlck + 1)) == nextidx)", File: "xlog.c", Line:
2154)
LOG: startup process (PID 5390) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

Cheers,

Jeff

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: 'Heikki Linnakangas' <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, 'PostgreSQL-development' <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-20 06:00:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was trying to understand this patch and had few doubts:

1. In PerformXLogInsert(), why there is need to check freespace when already
during ReserveXLogInsertLocation(),
the space is reserved.
Is it possible that the record size is more than actually calculted in
ReserveXLogInsertLocation(), if so in that
case what I understand is it is moving to next page to write, however
isn't it possible that some other backend had
already reserved that space.

2. In function WaitForXLogInsertionSlotToBecomeFree(), chances are there
such that when nextslot equals lastslot, all new
backends try to reserve a slot will start waiting on same last slot
which can lead to serialization for those
backends and can impact latency.

3. GetXlogBuffer - This will get called twice, once for normal buffer,
second time for when there is not enough space in
current page, and both times it can lead to I/O whereas in earlier
algorithm, the chances of I/O is only once.

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-20 09:09:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I've tested your v9 patch.  I no longer see any inconsistencies or
> lost transactions in the recovered database.  But occasionally I get
> databases that fail to recover at all.
> It has always been with the exact same failed assertion, at xlog.c line 2154.
>
> I've only seen this 4 times out of 2202 cycles of crash and recovery,
> so it must be some rather obscure situation.
>
> LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
> LOG:  redo starts at 0/180001B0
> LOG:  unexpected pageaddr 0/15084000 in log file 0, segment 25, offset 540672
> LOG:  redo done at 0/19083FD0
> LOG:  last completed transaction was at log time 2012-02-17 11:13:50.369488-08
> LOG:  checkpoint starting: end-of-recovery immediate
> TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(((((((uint64) (NewPageEndPtr).xlogid *
> (uint64) (((uint32) 0xffffffff) / ((uint32) (16 * 1024 * 1024))) *
> ((uint32) (16 * 1024 * 1024))) + (NewPageEndPtr).xrecoff - 1)) / 8192)
> % (XLogCtl->XLogCacheBlck + 1)) == nextidx)", File: "xlog.c", Line:
> 2154)
> LOG:  startup process (PID 5390) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
> LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure

I could reproduce this when I made the server crash just after executing
"select pg_switch_xlog()".

$ initdb -D data
$ pg_ctl -D data start
$ psql -c "select pg_switch_xlog()"
$ pg_ctl -D data stop -m i
$ pg_ctl -D data start
LOG: redo done at 0/16E3B0C
TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(((((((uint64) (NewPageEndPtr).xlogid *
(uint64) (((uint32) 0xffffffff) / ((uint32) (16 * 1024 * 1024))) *
((uint32) (16 * 1024 * 1024))) + (NewPageEndPtr).xrecoff - 1)) / 8192)
% (XLogCtl->XLogCacheBlck + 1)) == nextidx)", File: "xlog.c", Line:
2154)
LOG: startup process (PID 16361) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

Though I've not read new patch yet, I doubt that xlog switch code would
still have a bug.

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-21 11:19:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Attached is a new version, fixing that, and off-by-one bug you pointed out
> in the slot wraparound handling. I also moved code around a bit, I think
> this new division of labor between the XLogInsert subroutines is more
> readable.

This patch includes not only xlog scaling improvement but also other ones.
I think it's better to extract them as separate patches and commit them first.
If we do so, the main patch would become more readable.
For example, I think that the followings can be extracted as a separate patch.

(1) Make walwriter try to initialize as many of the no-longer-needed
WAL buffers
for future use as we can.

(2) Refactor the "update full_page_writes code".

(3) Get rid of XLogCtl->Write.LogwrtResult and XLogCtl->Insert.LogwrtResult.

(4) Call TRACE_POSTGRESQL_XLOG_SWITCH() even if the xlog switch has no
work to do.

Others?

I'm not sure if (3) makes sense. In current master, those two shared variables
are used to reduce the contention of XLogCtl->info_lck and WALWriteLock.
You think they have no effect on reducing the lock contention?

In some places, the spinlock "insertpos_lck" is taken while another
spinlock "info_lck"
is being held. Is this OK? What if unfortunately inner spinlock takes
long to be taken?

+ * An xlog-switch record consumes all the remaining space on the
+ * WAL segment. We have already reserved it for us, but we still need
+ * to make sure it's been allocated and zeroed in the WAL buffers so
+ * that when the caller (or someone else) does XLogWrite(), it can
+ * really write out all the zeros.

Why do we need to write out all the remaining space with zeros? In
current master,
we don't do that. A recovery code ignores the data following XLOG_SWITCH record,
so I don't think that's required.

+ /* XXX: before this patch, TRACE_POSTGRESQL_XLOG_SWITCH was not called
+ * if the xlog switch had no work to do, ie. if we were already at the
+ * beginning of a new XLOG segment. You can check if RecPtr points to
+ * beginning of a segment if you want to keep the distinction.
+ */
+ TRACE_POSTGRESQL_XLOG_SWITCH();

If so, RecPtr (or the flag indicating whether the xlog switch has no
work to do) should
be given to TRACE_POSTGRESQL_XLOG_SWITCH() as an argument?

The followings are trivial comments:

+ * insertion, but ẃhile we're at it, advance lastslot as much as we

Typo: 'ẃ' should be 'w'

In XLogRecPtrToBufIdx() and XLogRecEndPtrToBufIdx(), why don't you use
XLogFileSize
instead of XLogSegsPerFile * XLogSegSize?

There are some source code comments which still refer to WALInsertLock.

It's cleaner if pg_start_backup_callback() uses Insert instead of
XLogCtl->Insert,
like do_pg_start_backup(), do_pg_stop_backup() and do_pg_abort_backup() do.

+ freespace = XLOG_BLCKSZ - EndRecPtr.xrecoff % XLOG_BLCKSZ;

Though this is not incorrect, it's better to use EndOfLog instead of EndRecPtr,
like near code does.

while (extraWaits-- > 0)
PGSemaphoreUnlock(&MyProc->sem);

This should be executed also in WaitForXLogInsertionSlotToBecomeFree()?

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-22 01:34:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> Attached is a new version, fixing that, and off-by-one bug you pointed out
>> in the slot wraparound handling. I also moved code around a bit, I think
>> this new division of labor between the XLogInsert subroutines is more
>> readable.

When I ran the long-running performance test, I encountered the following
panic error.

PANIC: could not find WAL buffer for 0/FF000000

0/FF000000 is the xlog file boundary, so the patch seems to handle
the xlog file boundary incorrectly. In the patch, current insertion lsn
is advanced by directly incrementing XLogRecPtr.xrecoff as follows.
But to handle the xlog file boundary correctly, we should use
XLByteAdvance() for that, instead?

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-02-25 20:46:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Attached is a new version, fixing that, and off-by-one bug you pointed out
>>> in the slot wraparound handling. I also moved code around a bit, I think
>>> this new division of labor between the XLogInsert subroutines is more
>>> readable.
>
> When I ran the long-running performance test, I encountered the following
> panic error.
>
>    PANIC:  could not find WAL buffer for 0/FF000000

I too see this panic when the system survives long enough to get to
that log switch.

But I'm also still seeing (with version 9) the assert failure at
"xlog.c", Line: 2154 during the end-of-recovery checkpoint.

Here is a set up for repeating my tests. I used this test simply
because I had it sitting around after having written it for other
purposes. Indeed I'm not all that sure I should publish it.
Hopefully other people will write other tests which exercise other
corner cases, rather than exercising the same ones I am.

The patch creates a guc which causes the md writer routine to panic
and bring down the database, triggering recovery, after a given number
for writes. In this context probably any other method of forcing a
crash and recovery would be just as good as this specific method of
crashing.

The choice of 400 for the cutoff for crashing is based on:

1) If the number is too low, you re-crash within recovery so you never
get a chance to inspect the database. In my hands, recovery doesn't
need to do more than 400 writes. (I don't know how to make the
database use different guc setting during recovery than it did before
the crash).

2) If the number is too high, it takes too long for a crash to happen
and I'm not all that patient.

Some of the changes to postgresql.conf.sample are purely my
preferences and have nothing in particular to do with this set up.
But archive_timeout = 30 is necessary in order to get checkpoints, and
thus mdwrites, to happen often enough to trigger crashes often enough
to satisfy my impatience.

The Perl script exercises the integrity of the database by launching
multiple processes (4 by default) to run updates and memorize what
updates they have run. After a crash, the Perl processes all
communicate their data up to the parent, which consolidates that
information and then queries the post-recovery database to make sure
it agrees. Transactions that are in-flight at the time of a crash are
indeterminate. Maybe the crash happened before the commit, and maybe
it happened after the commit but before we received notification of
the commit. So whichever way those turn out, it is not proof of
corruption.

With the xloginsert-scale-9.patch, the above features are not needed
because the problem is not that the database is incorrect after
recovery, but that the database doesn't recover in the first place. So
just running pgbench would be good enough to detect that. But in
earlier versions this feature did detect incorrect recovery.

This logs an awful lot of stuff, most of which merely indicates normal
operation. The problem is that corruption is rare, so if you wait
until you see corruption before turning on logging, then you have to
wait l long time to get another instance of corruption so you can
dissect the log information. So, I just log everything all of the
time.
A warning from 'line 63' which is not marked as in-flight indicates
database corruption. A warning from 'line 66' indicates even worse
corruption. A failure of the entire outer script to execute for the
expected number of iterations (i.e. failure of the warning issued on
'line 18' to show up 100 times) indicates the database failed to
restart.

Also attached is a bash script that exercises the whole thing. Note
that it has various directories hard coded that really ought not be,
and that it has no compunctions about calling rm -r /tmp/data. I run
it is as "./do.sh >& log" and then inspect the log file for unusual
lines.

To run this, you first have to apply your own xlog patch, and apply my
crash-inducing patch, and build and install the resulting pgsql. And
edit the shell script to point to it, etc.. The whole thing is a bit
of a idiosyncratic mess.

Cheers,

Jeff

Attachment Content-Type Size
crash_REL9_2CF4.patch application/octet-stream 6.7 KB
count.pl application/octet-stream 2.6 KB
do.sh application/x-sh 689 bytes

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: 'PostgreSQL-development' <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-05 08:31:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20.02.2012 08:00, Amit Kapila wrote:
> I was trying to understand this patch and had few doubts:
>
> 1. In PerformXLogInsert(), why there is need to check freespace when
> already during ReserveXLogInsertLocation(), the space is reserved. Is
> it possible that the record size is more than actually calculted in
> ReserveXLogInsertLocation(), if so in that case what I understand is
> it is moving to next page to write, however isn't it possible that
> some other backend had already reserved that space.

The calculations between PerformXLogInsert (called CopyXLogRecordToWAL()
in the latest patch version) and ReserveXLogInsertLocation() must always
match, otherwise we have reserved incorrect amount of WAL and you get
corrupt WAL. They both need to do the same calculations of how the WAL
record is split across pages, which depends on how much free space there
is on the first page. There is an assertion in CopyXLogRecordToWAL() to
check that once it's finished writing the WAL record, the last byte
landed on the position that ReserveXLogInsertLocation() calculated it
would.

Another way to do that would be to remember the calculations done in
ReserveXLogInsertLocation(), in an extra array or something. But we want
to keep ReserveXLogInsertLocation() as simple as possible, as that runs
while holding the spinlock. Any extra CPU cycles there will hurt
scalability.

> 2. In function WaitForXLogInsertionSlotToBecomeFree(), chances are
> there such that when nextslot equals lastslot, all new backends try
> to reserve a slot will start waiting on same last slot which can
> lead to serialization for those backends and can impact latency.

True. That warrants some performance testing to see if that effect is
significant. (it's surely better than the current situation, anyway,
where all WAL insertions block on the single lock)

> 3. GetXlogBuffer - This will get called twice, once for normal
> buffer, second time for when there is not enough space in current
> page, and both times it can lead to I/O whereas in earlier algorithm,
> the chances of I/O is only once.

I don't see any difference to the previous situation. In both cases, if
you need a new page to copy the WAL record to, you need to first flush
out some old pages from the WAL buffers if they're all dirty. The patch
doesn't change the number of WAL buffers consumed. Note that
GetXLogBuffer() is very cheap when it doesn't need to do I/O, extra
calls to it don't matter if the page is already initialized.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-05 16:34:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21.02.2012 13:19, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> Attached is a new version, fixing that, and off-by-one bug you pointed out
>> in the slot wraparound handling. I also moved code around a bit, I think
>> this new division of labor between the XLogInsert subroutines is more
>> readable.
>
> This patch includes not only xlog scaling improvement but also other ones.
> I think it's better to extract them as separate patches and commit them first.
> If we do so, the main patch would become more readable.

Good point.

> For example, I think that the followings can be extracted as a separate patch.
>
> (1) Make walwriter try to initialize as many of the no-longer-needed
> WAL buffers
> for future use as we can.

This is pretty hard to extract from the larger patch. The current code
in master assumes that there's only one page that is currently inserted
to, and relies on WALInsertLock being held in AdvanceXLInsertBuffer().
The logic with the scaling patch is quite different.

> (2) Refactor the "update full_page_writes code".
> (3) Get rid of XLogCtl->Write.LogwrtResult and XLogCtl->Insert.LogwrtResult.

Attached are patches for these two items. Barring objections, I'll
commit these.

> (4) Call TRACE_POSTGRESQL_XLOG_SWITCH() even if the xlog switch has no
> work to do.

Actually, I think I'll just move it in the patch to keep the existing
behavior.

> I'm not sure if (3) makes sense. In current master, those two shared variables
> are used to reduce the contention of XLogCtl->info_lck and WALWriteLock.
> You think they have no effect on reducing the lock contention?

XLogCtl->Write.LogwrtResult certainly seems redundant with
XLogCtl->LogwrtResult. There might be some value in
XLogCtl->Insert.LogwrtResult, it's used in AdvanceXLInsertBuffer() to
before acquiring info_lck. But I doubt that makes any difference in
practice either. At best it's saving one spinlock acquisition per WAL
buffer, which isn't all much compared to all the other work involved.
(once the scaling patch is committed, this point is moot anyway)

--
Heikki Linnakangas

simplify-update-full_page_writes-1.patch text/x-diff 2.8 KB
remove-extra-logwrtresult-copies-1.patch text/x-diff 7.3 KB

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-05 16:50:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21.02.2012 13:19, Fujii Masao wrote:
> In some places, the spinlock "insertpos_lck" is taken while another
> spinlock "info_lck" is being held. Is this OK? What if unfortunately
> inner spinlock takes long to be taken?

Hmm, that's only done at a checkpoint (and a restartpoint), so I doubt
that's a big issue in practice. We had the same pattern before the
patch, just with WALInsertLock instead of insertpos_lck. Holding a
spinlock longer is much worse than holding a lwlock longer, but
nevertheless I don't think that's a problem.

If it does become a problem, we could provide a second copy of
RedoRecPtr that could be read while holding info_lck, and would be
allowed to lag behind slightly, while requiring insertpos_lck to
read/update the main shared copy of RedoRecPtr. The only place that
reads RedoRecPtr while holding info_lck is GetRedoRecPtr(), which would
be happy with a value that lags behind a few milliseconds. We could
still update that copy right after releasing insertpos_lck, so the delay
between the two would be tiny.

> + * An xlog-switch record consumes all the remaining space on the
> + * WAL segment. We have already reserved it for us, but we still need
> + * to make sure it's been allocated and zeroed in the WAL buffers so
> + * that when the caller (or someone else) does XLogWrite(), it can
> + * really write out all the zeros.
>
> Why do we need to write out all the remaining space with zeros? In
> current master, we don't do that. A recovery code ignores the data
> following XLOG_SWITCH record, so I don't think that's required.

It's to keep the logic simpler. Before the patch, an xlog-switch just
initialized the next page in the WAL buffers to insert to, to be the
first page in the next segment. With this patch, we rely on a simple
linear mapping from an XLogRecPtr to the WAL buffer that should contain
that page (see XLogRecPtrToBufIdx()). Such a mapping is not possible if
you sometimes skip over pages in the WAL buffers, so we allocate the
buffers for those empty pages, too. Note that this means that an
xlog-switch can blow through all your WAL buffers.

We could probably optimize that so that you don't need to actually
write() and fsync() all the zeros, perhaps by setting a flag on the WAL
buffer to indicate that it only contains padding for an xlog-switch.
However, I don't see any easy way to avoid blowing the cache.

I'm thinking that xlog-switching happens so seldom, and typically on a
fairly idle system, so we don't need to optimize it much. I guess we
should measure the impact, though..

> + /* XXX: before this patch, TRACE_POSTGRESQL_XLOG_SWITCH was not called
> + * if the xlog switch had no work to do, ie. if we were already at the
> + * beginning of a new XLOG segment. You can check if RecPtr points to
> + * beginning of a segment if you want to keep the distinction.
> + */
> + TRACE_POSTGRESQL_XLOG_SWITCH();
>
> If so, RecPtr (or the flag indicating whether the xlog switch has no
> work to do) should
> be given to TRACE_POSTGRESQL_XLOG_SWITCH() as an argument?

I think I'll just move that call, so that the current behavior is retained.

> The followings are trivial comments:

Thanks, fixed these!

On 22.02.2012 03:34, Fujii Masao wrote:
> When I ran the long-running performance test, I encountered the following
> panic error.
>
> PANIC: could not find WAL buffer for 0/FF000000
>
> 0/FF000000 is the xlog file boundary, so the patch seems to handle
> the xlog file boundary incorrectly. In the patch, current insertion lsn
> is advanced by directly incrementing XLogRecPtr.xrecoff as follows.
> But to handle the xlog file boundary correctly, we should use
> XLByteAdvance() for that, instead?

Thanks, fixed this, too.

I made the locking a bit more strict in WaitXLogInsertionsToFinish(), so
that it grabs the insertpos_lck to read nextslot. I previously thought
that was not necessary, assuming that reading/writing an int32 is
atomic, but I'm afraid there might be memory-ordering issues where the
CurrPos of the most recent slot has not become visible to other backends
yet, while the advancing of nextslot has.

That particular issue would be very hard to hit in practice, so I don't
know if this could explain the recovery failures that Jeff saw. I got
the test script running (thanks for that Jeff!), but unfortunately have
not seen any failures yet (aside from the issue with crossing xlogid
boundary), with either this or the older version of the patch.

Attached is a new version of the patch.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-10.patch text/x-diff 95.4 KB

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-05 17:17:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 21.02.2012 13:19, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> In some places, the spinlock "insertpos_lck" is taken while another
>> spinlock "info_lck" is being held. Is this OK? What if unfortunately
>> inner spinlock takes long to be taken?

> Hmm, that's only done at a checkpoint (and a restartpoint), so I doubt
> that's a big issue in practice. We had the same pattern before the
> patch, just with WALInsertLock instead of insertpos_lck. Holding a
> spinlock longer is much worse than holding a lwlock longer, but
> nevertheless I don't think that's a problem.

No, that's NOT okay. A spinlock is only supposed to be held across a
short straight-line sequence of instructions. Something that could
involve a spin loop, or worse a sleep() kernel call, is right out.
Please change this.

regards, tom lane

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-06 12:52:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On 21.02.2012 13:19, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>> In some places, the spinlock "insertpos_lck" is taken while another
>>> spinlock "info_lck" is being held. Is this OK? What if unfortunately
>>> inner spinlock takes long to be taken?
>
>> Hmm, that's only done at a checkpoint (and a restartpoint), so I doubt
>> that's a big issue in practice. We had the same pattern before the
>> patch, just with WALInsertLock instead of insertpos_lck. Holding a
>> spinlock longer is much worse than holding a lwlock longer, but
>> nevertheless I don't think that's a problem.
>
> No, that's NOT okay.  A spinlock is only supposed to be held across a
> short straight-line sequence of instructions.

This also strikes me that the usage of the spinlock insertpos_lck might
not be OK in ReserveXLogInsertLocation() because a few dozen instructions
can be performed while holding the spinlock....

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-06 14:20:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> +        * An xlog-switch record consumes all the remaining space on the
>> +        * WAL segment. We have already reserved it for us, but we still
>> need
>> +        * to make sure it's been allocated and zeroed in the WAL buffers
>> so
>> +        * that when the caller (or someone else) does XLogWrite(), it can
>> +        * really write out all the zeros.
>>
>> Why do we need to write out all the remaining space with zeros? In
>> current master, we don't do that. A recovery code ignores the data
>> following XLOG_SWITCH record, so I don't think that's required.
>

> It's to keep the logic simpler. Before the patch, an xlog-switch just
> initialized the next page in the WAL buffers to insert to, to be the first
> page in the next segment. With this patch, we rely on a simple linear
> mapping from an XLogRecPtr to the WAL buffer that should contain that page
> (see XLogRecPtrToBufIdx()). Such a mapping is not possible if you sometimes
> skip over pages in the WAL buffers, so we allocate the buffers for those
> empty pages, too. Note that this means that an xlog-switch can blow through
> all your WAL buffers.
>
> We could probably optimize that so that you don't need to actually write()
> and fsync() all the zeros, perhaps by setting a flag on the WAL buffer to
> indicate that it only contains padding for an xlog-switch. However, I don't
> see any easy way to avoid blowing the cache.
>
> I'm thinking that xlog-switching happens so seldom, and typically on a
> fairly idle system, so we don't need to optimize it much. I guess we should
> measure the impact, though..

Online backup which forces an xlog-switch twice might be performed under
a certain amount of load. So, to avoid the performance spike during online
backup, I think that the optimization which skips write() and fsync() of
the padding bytes is helpful.

> On 22.02.2012 03:34, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> When I ran the long-running performance test, I encountered the following
>> panic error.
>>
>>      PANIC:  could not find WAL buffer for 0/FF000000
>>
>> 0/FF000000 is the xlog file boundary, so the patch seems to handle
>> the xlog file boundary incorrectly. In the patch, current insertion lsn
>> is advanced by directly incrementing XLogRecPtr.xrecoff as follows.
>> But to handle the xlog file boundary correctly, we should use
>> XLByteAdvance() for that, instead?
>
> Thanks, fixed this, too.
>
> I made the locking a bit more strict in WaitXLogInsertionsToFinish(), so
> that it grabs the insertpos_lck to read nextslot. I previously thought that
> was not necessary, assuming that reading/writing an int32 is atomic, but I'm
> afraid there might be memory-ordering issues where the CurrPos of the most
> recent slot has not become visible to other backends yet, while the
> advancing of nextslot has.
>
> That particular issue would be very hard to hit in practice, so I don't know
> if this could explain the recovery failures that Jeff saw. I got the test
> script running (thanks for that Jeff!), but unfortunately have not seen any
> failures yet (aside from the issue with crossing xlogid boundary), with
> either this or the older version of the patch.
>
> Attached is a new version of the patch.

Thanks for the new patch!

In this new patch, I again was able to reproduce the assertion failure which
I described on the upthread.
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHGQGwGRuNJ%3D_ctXwteNkFkdvMDNFYxFdn0D1cd-CqL0OgNCLg%40mail.gmail.com

$ uname -a
Linux hermes 3.0.0-16-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 27 17:50:54 UTC
2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-06 15:07:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06.03.2012 14:52, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas<heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>>
>>> Hmm, that's only done at a checkpoint (and a restartpoint), so I doubt
>>> that's a big issue in practice. We had the same pattern before the
>>> patch, just with WALInsertLock instead of insertpos_lck. Holding a
>>> spinlock longer is much worse than holding a lwlock longer, but
>>> nevertheless I don't think that's a problem.
>>
>> No, that's NOT okay. A spinlock is only supposed to be held across a
>> short straight-line sequence of instructions.

Ok, that's easy enough to fix.

> This also strikes me that the usage of the spinlock insertpos_lck might
> not be OK in ReserveXLogInsertLocation() because a few dozen instructions
> can be performed while holding the spinlock....

I admit that block is longer than any of our existing spinlock blocks.
However, it's important for performance. I tried using a lwlock earlier,
and that negated the gains. So if that's a serious objection, then let's
resolve that now before I spend any more time on other aspects of the
patch. Any ideas how to make that block shorter?

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-06 15:11:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> I admit that block is longer than any of our existing spinlock blocks.
> However, it's important for performance. I tried using a lwlock earlier, and
> that negated the gains. So if that's a serious objection, then let's resolve
> that now before I spend any more time on other aspects of the patch. Any
> ideas how to make that block shorter?

We shouldn't put the cart in front of the horse. The point of keeping
spinlock acquisitions short is to improve performance by preventing
excess spinning. If the performance is better with a spinlock than
with an lwlock, then clearly the spinning isn't excessive, or at least
not in the case you tested.

That having been said, shorter critical sections are always good, of course...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-06 15:12:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 06.03.2012 14:52, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> This also strikes me that the usage of the spinlock insertpos_lck might
>> not be OK in ReserveXLogInsertLocation() because a few dozen instructions
>> can be performed while holding the spinlock....

> I admit that block is longer than any of our existing spinlock blocks.
> However, it's important for performance. I tried using a lwlock earlier,
> and that negated the gains. So if that's a serious objection, then let's
> resolve that now before I spend any more time on other aspects of the
> patch. Any ideas how to make that block shorter?

How long is the current locked code exactly --- does it contain a loop?

I'm not sure where the threshold of pain is for length of time holding a
spinlock. I wouldn't go out of the way to avoid using a spinlock for
say a hundred instructions, at least not unless it was a very
high-contention lock. But sleeping while holding a spinlock is right out.

regards, tom lane

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-06 19:34:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06.03.2012 17:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas<heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> On 06.03.2012 14:52, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>> This also strikes me that the usage of the spinlock insertpos_lck might
>>> not be OK in ReserveXLogInsertLocation() because a few dozen instructions
>>> can be performed while holding the spinlock....
>
>> I admit that block is longer than any of our existing spinlock blocks.
>> However, it's important for performance. I tried using a lwlock earlier,
>> and that negated the gains. So if that's a serious objection, then let's
>> resolve that now before I spend any more time on other aspects of the
>> patch. Any ideas how to make that block shorter?
>
> How long is the current locked code exactly --- does it contain a loop?

Perhaps best if you take a look for yourself, the function is called
ReserveXLogInsertLocation() in patch. It calls a helper function called
AdvanceXLogRecPtrToNextPage(ptr), which is small and could be inlined.
It does contain one loop, which iterates once for every WAL page the
record crosses.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-06 20:32:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 06.03.2012 17:12, Tom Lane wrote:
>> How long is the current locked code exactly --- does it contain a loop?

> Perhaps best if you take a look for yourself, the function is called
> ReserveXLogInsertLocation() in patch. It calls a helper function called
> AdvanceXLogRecPtrToNextPage(ptr), which is small and could be inlined.
> It does contain one loop, which iterates once for every WAL page the
> record crosses.

Hm. The loop makes me a tad uncomfortable, because it is possible for
WAL records to be very long (many pages). I see the point that
replacing the spinlock with an LWLock would likely negate any
performance win from this patch, but having other processes arrive and
spin while somebody is busy calculating the size of a multi-megabyte
commit record would be bad too.

What I suggest is that it should not be necessary to crawl forward one
page at a time to figure out how many pages will be needed to store N
bytes worth of WAL data. You're basically implementing a division
problem as repeated subtraction. Getting the extra WAL-segment-start
overhead right would be slightly tricky; but even if you didn't want to
try to make it pure straight-line code, at the very least it seems like
you could set it up so that the loop iterates only once per segment not
page.

regards, tom lane

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-07 07:07:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-07 08:35:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On 06.03.2012 17:12, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> How long is the current locked code exactly --- does it contain a loop?
>
>> Perhaps best if you take a look for yourself, the function is called
>> ReserveXLogInsertLocation() in patch. It calls a helper function called
>>   AdvanceXLogRecPtrToNextPage(ptr), which is small and could be inlined.
>> It does contain one loop, which iterates once for every WAL page the
>> record crosses.
>
> Hm.  The loop makes me a tad uncomfortable, because it is possible for
> WAL records to be very long (many pages).  I see the point that
> replacing the spinlock with an LWLock would likely negate any
> performance win from this patch, but having other processes arrive and
> spin while somebody is busy calculating the size of a multi-megabyte
> commit record would be bad too.

I would have thought the existence of a multi-megabyte commit record
would already imply a huge performance effect elsewhere and we
wouldn't care too much about a few spinlock cycles. But I think
they're as rare as Higgs bosons.

If/when such records do exist it isn't likely to be on a high
transaction rate server. Even allocating ~1 million xids takes long
enough that we wouldn't be expecting a very high commit rate even with
200 concurrent sessions doing this. If such records are rare, then the
minor blip they cause is just a drop in the ocean.

So I think Tom's concern is valid, but the frequency of problems
resulting from it will be so low as to not even be measurable. And
before we fix a perceived performance issue, we really should prove
its existence first, then confirm that this area is the bottleneck
that is slowing such workloads.

So +1 to Heikki keeping the spinlock, as is, and not redesign anything.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-07 14:24:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Simon Riggs's message of mié mar 07 05:35:44 -0300 2012:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> >
> >> Perhaps best if you take a look for yourself, the function is called
> >> ReserveXLogInsertLocation() in patch. It calls a helper function called
> >>   AdvanceXLogRecPtrToNextPage(ptr), which is small and could be inlined.
> >> It does contain one loop, which iterates once for every WAL page the
> >> record crosses.
> >
> > Hm.  The loop makes me a tad uncomfortable, because it is possible for
> > WAL records to be very long (many pages).  I see the point that
> > replacing the spinlock with an LWLock would likely negate any
> > performance win from this patch, but having other processes arrive and
> > spin while somebody is busy calculating the size of a multi-megabyte
> > commit record would be bad too.
>
> I would have thought the existence of a multi-megabyte commit record
> would already imply a huge performance effect elsewhere and we
> wouldn't care too much about a few spinlock cycles. But I think
> they're as rare as Higgs bosons.

Just to keep things in perspective -- For a commit record to reach one
megabyte, it would have to be a transaction that drops over 43k tables.
Or have 64k smgr inval messages (for example, a TRUNCATE might send half
a dozen of these messages). Or have 262k subtransactions. Or
combinations thereof.

Now admittedly, a page is only 8 kB, so for a commit record to be "many
pages long" (that is, >=3) it would require about 1500 smgr inval
messages, or, say, about 250 TRUNCATEs (of permanent tables with at
least one toastable field and at least one index).

So they are undoubtely rare. Not sure if as rare as Higgs bosons.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-07 15:04:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Just to keep things in perspective -- For a commit record to reach one
> megabyte, it would have to be a transaction that drops over 43k tables.
> Or have 64k smgr inval messages (for example, a TRUNCATE might send half
> a dozen of these messages). Or have 262k subtransactions. Or
> combinations thereof.

> Now admittedly, a page is only 8 kB, so for a commit record to be "many
> pages long" (that is, >=3) it would require about 1500 smgr inval
> messages, or, say, about 250 TRUNCATEs (of permanent tables with at
> least one toastable field and at least one index).

What about the locks (if running hot-standby)?

> So they are undoubtely rare. Not sure if as rare as Higgs bosons.

Even if they're rare, having a major performance hiccup when one happens
is not a side-effect I want to see from a patch whose only reason to
exist is better performance.

regards, tom lane

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-07 15:17:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Just to keep things in perspective -- For a commit record to reach one
>> megabyte, it would have to be a transaction that drops over 43k tables.
>> Or have 64k smgr inval messages (for example, a TRUNCATE might send half
>> a dozen of these messages). Or have 262k subtransactions.  Or
>> combinations thereof.
>
>> Now admittedly, a page is only 8 kB, so for a commit record to be "many
>> pages long" (that is, >=3) it would require about 1500 smgr inval
>> messages, or, say, about 250 TRUNCATEs (of permanent tables with at
>> least one toastable field and at least one index).
>
> What about the locks (if running hot-standby)?

It's a list of active AccessExclusiveLocks. If that list is long you
can be sure not much else is happening on the server.

>> So they are undoubtely rare.  Not sure if as rare as Higgs bosons.
>
> Even if they're rare, having a major performance hiccup when one happens
> is not a side-effect I want to see from a patch whose only reason to
> exist is better performance.

I agree the effect you point out can exist, I just don't want to slow
down the main case as a result.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-07 15:28:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>>> So they are undoubtely rare. Not sure if as rare as Higgs bosons.

>> Even if they're rare, having a major performance hiccup when one happens
>> is not a side-effect I want to see from a patch whose only reason to
>> exist is better performance.

> I agree the effect you point out can exist, I just don't want to slow
> down the main case as a result.

I don't see any reason to think that what I suggested would slow things
down, especially not if the code were set up to fall through quickly in
the typical case where no page boundary is crossed. Integer division is
not slow on any machine made in the last 15 years or so.

regards, tom lane

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-07 15:44:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Heikki Linnakangas

> That particular issue would be very hard to hit in practice, so I don't know
> if this could explain the recovery failures that Jeff saw. I got the test
> script running (thanks for that Jeff!), but unfortunately have not seen any
> failures yet (aside from the issue with crossing xlogid boundary), with
> either this or the older version of the patch.
>
> Attached is a new version of the patch.

I've run patch v10 for 14109 cycles of crash and recovery, and there
were 8 assertion failures at "xlog.c", Line: 2106 during the
end-of-recovery checkpoint.

How many cycles have you run? Assuming the crashes follow a simple
binomial distribution with the frequency I see, you would have to run
for ~1230 cycles for a 50% chance of experiencing at least one, or for
~8120 cycles for a 99% chance of experiencing at least one.

I think Fujii's method if provoking this problem is more efficient
than mine, although I haven't tried it myself.

Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 275
2.6.32.36-0.5-default #1 SMP 2011-04-14 10:12:31 +0200 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Cheers,

Jeff

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-09 10:04:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07.03.2012 17:28, Tom Lane wrote:
> Simon Riggs<simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
>
>>> Even if they're rare, having a major performance hiccup when one happens
>>> is not a side-effect I want to see from a patch whose only reason to
>>> exist is better performance.
>
>> I agree the effect you point out can exist, I just don't want to slow
>> down the main case as a result.
>
> I don't see any reason to think that what I suggested would slow things
> down, especially not if the code were set up to fall through quickly in
> the typical case where no page boundary is crossed. Integer division is
> not slow on any machine made in the last 15 years or so.

Agreed. I wasn't worried about the looping with extra-large records, but
might as well not do it.

Here's an updated patch. It now only loops once per segment that a
record crosses. Plus a lot of other small cleanup.

I've been doing some performance testing with this, using a simple C
function that just inserts a dummy WAL record of given size. I'm not
totally satisfied. Although the patch helps with scalability at 3-4
concurrent backends doing WAL insertions, it seems to slow down the
single-client case with small WAL records by about 5-10%. This is what
Robert also saw with an earlier version of the patch
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-12/msg01223.php). I
tested this with the data directory on a RAM drive, unfortunately I
don't have a server with a hard drive that can sustain the high
insertion rate. I'll post more detailed results, once I've refined the
tests a bit.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-09 10:34:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Here's an updated patch. It now only loops once per segment that a record
> crosses. Plus a lot of other small cleanup.

Thanks! But you forgot to attach the patch.

> I've been doing some performance testing with this, using a simple C
> function that just inserts a dummy WAL record of given size. I'm not totally
> satisfied. Although the patch helps with scalability at 3-4 concurrent
> backends doing WAL insertions, it seems to slow down the single-client case
> with small WAL records by about 5-10%. This is what Robert also saw with an
> earlier version of the patch
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-12/msg01223.php). I
> tested this with the data directory on a RAM drive, unfortunately I don't
> have a server with a hard drive that can sustain the high insertion rate.
> I'll post more detailed results, once I've refined the tests a bit.

I'm also doing performance test. If I get interesting result, I'll post it.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-09 10:45:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.03.2012 12:34, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> Here's an updated patch. It now only loops once per segment that a record
>> crosses. Plus a lot of other small cleanup.
>
> Thanks! But you forgot to attach the patch.

Sorry, here you go.

>> I've been doing some performance testing with this, using a simple C
>> function that just inserts a dummy WAL record of given size. I'm not totally
>> satisfied. Although the patch helps with scalability at 3-4 concurrent
>> backends doing WAL insertions, it seems to slow down the single-client case
>> with small WAL records by about 5-10%. This is what Robert also saw with an
>> earlier version of the patch
>> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-12/msg01223.php). I
>> tested this with the data directory on a RAM drive, unfortunately I don't
>> have a server with a hard drive that can sustain the high insertion rate.
>> I'll post more detailed results, once I've refined the tests a bit.
>
> I'm also doing performance test. If I get interesting result, I'll post it.

Thanks!

BTW, I haven't forgotten about the recovery bugs Jeff found earlier. I'm
planning to do a longer run with his test script - I only run it for
about 1000 iterations - to see if I can reproduce the PANIC with both
the earlier patch version he tested, and this new one.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-12.patch text/x-diff 96.0 KB

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-12 16:59:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Heikki Linnakangas

> Thanks!
>
> BTW, I haven't forgotten about the recovery bugs Jeff found earlier. I'm
> planning to do a longer run with his test script - I only run it for about
> 1000 iterations - to see if I can reproduce the PANIC with both the earlier
> patch version he tested, and this new one.

Hi Heikki,

I've run the v12 patch for 17,489 rounds of crash and recovery, and
detected no assertion failures or other problems.

Cheers,

Jeff

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-12 19:33:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.03.2012 12:04, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I've been doing some performance testing with this, using a simple C
> function that just inserts a dummy WAL record of given size. I'm not
> totally satisfied. Although the patch helps with scalability at 3-4
> concurrent backends doing WAL insertions, it seems to slow down the
> single-client case with small WAL records by about 5-10%. This is what
> Robert also saw with an earlier version of the patch
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-12/msg01223.php). I
> tested this with the data directory on a RAM drive, unfortunately I
> don't have a server with a hard drive that can sustain the high
> insertion rate. I'll post more detailed results, once I've refined the
> tests a bit.

So, here's more detailed test results, using Greg Smith's excellent
pgbench-tools test suite:

http://community.enterprisedb.com/xloginsert-scale-tests/

The workload in all of these tests was a simple C function that writes a
lot of very small WAL records, with 16 bytes of payload each. I ran the
tests with the data directory on a regular hard drive, on an SDD, and on
a ram drive (/dev/shm). With HDD, I also tried fsync=off and
synchronous_commit_off. For each of those, I ran the tests with 1-16
concurrent backends.

for the synchronous_commit=off test. Between 2-6 clients, it either
helps, doesn't make any difference, or hurts. With > 6 clients, it hurts.

So, that's quite disappointing. The patch has two problems: the 10%
slowdown in single-client case, and the slowdown with > 6 clients. I
don't know where exactly the single-client slowdown comes from, although
I'm not surprised that the bookkeeping with slots etc. has some
overhead. Hopefully that overhead can be made smaller, if not eliminated
completely..

The slowdown with > 6 clients seems to be spinlock contention. I ran
"perf record" for a short duration during one of the ramdrive tests, and
saw the spinlock acquisition in ReserveXLogInsertLocation() consuming
about 80% of all CPU time.

I then hacked the patch a little bit, removing the check in XLogInsert
for fullPageWrites and forcePageWrites, as well as the check for "did a
checkpoint just happen" (see
http://community.enterprisedb.com/xloginsert-scale-tests/disable-fpwcheck.patch).
My hunch was that accessing those fields causes cache line stealing,
making the cache line containing the spinlock even more busy. That hunch
seems to be correct; when I reran the tests with that patch, the
performance with high # of clients became much better. See the results
with "xloginsert-scale-13.patch". With that change, the single-client
case is still about 10% slower than current code, but the performance
with > 8 clients is almost as good as with current code. Between 2-6
clients, the patch is a win.

The hack that restored the > 6 clients performance to current level is
not safe, of course, so I'll have to figure out a safe way to get that
effect. Also, even when the performance is as good as current code, it's
not good to spend all the CPU time spinning on the spinlock. I didn't
measure the CPU usage with current code, but I would expect it to be
sleeping, not spinning, when not doing useful work.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2012-03-13 04:55:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> BTW, I haven't forgotten about the recovery bugs Jeff found earlier. I'm
>> planning to do a longer run with his test script - I only run it for about
>> 1000 iterations - to see if I can reproduce the PANIC with both the earlier
>> patch version he tested, and this new one.
>
> Hi Heikki,
>
> I've run the v12 patch for 17,489 rounds of crash and recovery, and
> detected no assertion failures or other problems.

In v12 patch, I could no longer reproduce the assertion failure, too.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: 2012-03-14 20:52:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12.03.2012 21:33, I wrote:
> The slowdown with > 6 clients seems to be spinlock contention. I ran
> "perf record" for a short duration during one of the ramdrive tests, and
> saw the spinlock acquisition in ReserveXLogInsertLocation() consuming
> about 80% of all CPU time.
>
> I then hacked the patch a little bit, removing the check in XLogInsert
> for fullPageWrites and forcePageWrites, as well as the check for "did a
> checkpoint just happen" (see
> http://community.enterprisedb.com/xloginsert-scale-tests/disable-fpwcheck.patch).
> My hunch was that accessing those fields causes cache line stealing,
> making the cache line containing the spinlock even more busy. That hunch
> seems to be correct; when I reran the tests with that patch, the
> performance with high # of clients became much better. See the results
> with "xloginsert-scale-13.patch". With that change, the single-client
> case is still about 10% slower than current code, but the performance
> with > 8 clients is almost as good as with current code. Between 2-6
> clients, the patch is a win.
>
> The hack that restored the > 6 clients performance to current level is
> not safe, of course, so I'll have to figure out a safe way to get that
> effect.

I managed to do that in a safe way, and also found a couple of other
small changes that made a big difference to performance. I found out
that the number of cache misses while holding the spinlock matter a lot,
which in hindsight isn't surprising. I aligned the XLogCtlInsert struct
on a 64-byte boundary, so that the new spinlock and the fields it
protects all fit on the same cache line (on boxes with cache line size
>= 64 bytes, anyway). I also changed the logic of the insertion slots
slightly, so that when a slot is reserved, while holding the spinlock,
it doesn't need to be immediately updated. That avoids one cache miss,
as the cache line holding the slot doesn't need to be accessed while
holding the spinlock. And to reduce contention on cache lines when an
insertion is finished and the insertion slot is updated, I shuffled the
slots so that slots that are logically adjacent are spaced apart in memory.

When all those changes are put together, the patched version now beats
or matches the current code in the RAM drive tests, except that the
single-client case is still about 10% slower. I added the new test
results at http://community.enterprisedb.com/xloginsert-scale-tests/,
and a new version of the patch is attached.

If all of this sounds pessimistic, let me remind that I've been testing
the cases where I'm seeing regressions, so that I can fix them, and not
trying to demonstrate how good this is in the best case. These tests
have been with very small WAL records, with only 16 bytes of payload.
Larger WAL records benefit more. I also ran one test with larger, 100
byte WAL records, and put the results up on that site.

> Also, even when the performance is as good as current code, it's
> not good to spend all the CPU time spinning on the spinlock. I didn't
> measure the CPU usage with current code, but I would expect it to be
> sleeping, not spinning, when not doing useful work.

This is still an issue.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

xloginsert-scale-18.patch text/x-diff 100.1 KB

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: 2012-03-21 11:14:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> When all those changes are put together, the patched version now beats or
> matches the current code in the RAM drive tests, except that the
> single-client case is still about 10% slower. I added the new test results
> at http://community.enterprisedb.com/xloginsert-scale-tests/, and a new
> version of the patch is attached.

When I ran pgbench with v18 patch, I encountered the following PANIC error:

PANIC: space reserved for WAL record does not match what was written

To investigate the cause, I applied the following changes and ran pgbench again,

------------------------
diff --git a/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c
b/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c
index bfc7421..2cef0bd 100644
--- a/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c
+++ b/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c
@@ -1294,7 +1294,7 @@ CopyXLogRecordToWAL(int write_len, bool
isLogSwitch, XLogRecord *rechdr,
}

if (!XLByteEQ(CurrPos, EndPos))
- elog(PANIC, "space reserved for WAL record
does not match what was written");
+ elog(PANIC, "space reserved for WAL record does not
match what was written, CurrPos: %X/%X, EndPos: %X/%X",
CurrPos.xlogid, CurrPos.xrecoff, EndPos.xlogid, EndPos.xrecoff);
}
else
{
------------------------

then I got the following:

PANIC: space reserved for WAL record does not match what was
written, CurrPos: C/0, EndPos: B/FF000000

So I think that the patch would have a bug which handles WAL boundary wrongly.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: 2012-03-21 11:52:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21.03.2012 13:14, Fujii Masao wrote:
> PANIC: space reserved for WAL record does not match what was
> written, CurrPos: C/0, EndPos: B/FF000000
>
> So I think that the patch would have a bug which handles WAL boundary wrongly.

Thanks for the testing! These WAL boundary issues are really tricky, you
found bugs in that area before, and I found and fixed one before posting
the last version, and apparently there's still at least one left.

Overall, what do you (and others) think about the state of this patch?
I'm starting to feel that this needs to be pushed to 9.3. That bug might
not be very hard to fix, but the fact that these bugs are still cropping
up at this late stage makes me uneasy. That boundary calculation in
particular is surprisingly tricky, and I think it could be made less
tricky with some refactoring of the WAL-logging code, replacing
XLogRecPtr with uint64s, like Peter (IIRC) suggested a while ago. And
that seems like 9.3 material. Also, there's still these two known issues:

1. It slows down the WAL insertion in a single backend by about 10%
2. With lots of backends inserting tiny records concurrently, you get
spinlock contention, which consumes a lot of CPU. Without the patch, you
get lwlock contention and bandwidth isn't any better, but you sleep
rather than spin.

I'm afraid those issues aren't easily fixable. I haven't been able to
identify the source of slowdown in the single-backend case, it seems to
be simply the distributed cost of the extra bookkeeping. That might be
acceptable, 10% slowdown of raw WAL insertion speed is not good, but WAL
insertion only accounts for a fraction of the total CPU usage for any
real workload, so I believe the slowdown of a real application would be
more like 1-3%, at worst. But I would feel more comfortable if we had
more time to test that.

The spinlock contention issue might be acceptable too. I think it would
be hard to run into it in a real application, and even then, the
benchmarks show that although you spend a lot of CPU time spinning, you
get at least the same overall bandwidth with the patch, which is what
really matters. And I think it could be alleviated by reducing the time
the spinlock is held, and I think that could be done by making the space
reservation calculations simpler. If we got rid of the limitation that
the WAL record header is never split across WAL pages, and always stored
the continuation record header on all WAL pages, the space reservation
calculation could be reduced to essentially "currentpos += size". But
that again seems 9.3 material.

So, although none of the issues alone is a show-stopper, but considering
all these things together, I'm starting to feel that this needs to be
pushed to 9.3. Thoughts?

--
Heikki Linnakangas

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: 2012-03-21 12:27:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> So, although none of the issues alone is a show-stopper, but considering all
> these things together, I'm starting to feel that this needs to be pushed to
> 9.3. Thoughts?

I think I agree. I like the refactoring ideas that you're proposing,
but I don't really think we should be starting on that in mid-March.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: 2012-03-21 13:59:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ... although none of the issues alone is a show-stopper, but considering
> all these things together, I'm starting to feel that this needs to be
> pushed to 9.3. Thoughts?

Agreed. In particular, I think you are right that it'd be prudent to
simplify the WAL-location arithmetic and then rebase this code onto
that. And since no code at all has been written for the arithmetic
change, I think we have to consider that it's not 9.2 material.

regards, tom lane

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: 2012-03-22 01:32:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> ... although none of the issues alone is a show-stopper, but considering
>> all these things together, I'm starting to feel that this needs to be
>> pushed to 9.3. Thoughts?
>
> Agreed.  In particular, I think you are right that it'd be prudent to
> simplify the WAL-location arithmetic and then rebase this code onto
> that.  And since no code at all has been written for the arithmetic
> change, I think we have to consider that it's not 9.2 material.

Agreed.

BTW, the patch changes some functions so that they use volatile pointer,
as follows:

@@ -8448,7 +9232,7 @@ XLogReportParameters(void)
void
UpdateFullPageWrites(void)
{
- XLogCtlInsert *Insert = &XLogCtl->Insert;
+ volatile XLogCtlInsert *Insert = &XLogCtl->Insert;

These changes should be applied?