Re: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: ash <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re-create dependent views on ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN ... TYPE?
Date: 2014-05-26 14:25:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Hackers,

This came up recently on general list (and I've just hit the same issue today):
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTLmMn1LTb5WE0v0dO57iP0U73yKwzbZytAXDF1CAWLZg@mail.gmail.com

Why couldn't postgres re-create the dependent views automatically? I
mean it knows which views depend on the altered column and keeps the
view definition, no?

Would a patch likely to be accepted? How hard do you feel this might be
to implement? Any caveat that defeats the purpose of such feature?

Thanks.
--
Alex

* ash (ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com) wrote:
> This came up recently on general list (and I've just hit the same issue today):
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqTLmMn1LTb5WE0v0dO57iP0U73yKwzbZytAXDF1CAWLZg@mail.gmail.com
>
> Why couldn't postgres re-create the dependent views automatically? I
> mean it knows which views depend on the altered column and keeps the
> view definition, no?

Might be pretty complicated in the end..

> Would a patch likely to be accepted? How hard do you feel this might be
> to implement? Any caveat that defeats the purpose of such feature?

It'd need to be explicitly requested, eg a 'CASCADE' option.

Thanks,

Stephen