Re: pg_restore should accept multiple -t switches?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_restore should accept multiple -t switches?
Date: 2010-08-10 08:13:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

pg_dump allows us to select multiple target tables by using
multiple -t switches, but pg_restore does not. So, when
restoring multiple tables, we have to run pg_restore more
than once as follows. This is a pain to me.

$ pg_restore -t tbl1 db.dump
$ pg_restore -t tbl2 db.dump

Is it worth allowing pg_restore to accept multiple -t
switches as well as pg_dump?

$ pg_restore -t tbl1 -t tbl2 db.dump

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 05:13:22PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> pg_dump allows us to select multiple target tables by using
> multiple -t switches, but pg_restore does not. So, when
> restoring multiple tables, we have to run pg_restore more
> than once as follows. This is a pain to me.
>
> $ pg_restore -t tbl1 db.dump
> $ pg_restore -t tbl2 db.dump
>
> Is it worth allowing pg_restore to accept multiple -t
> switches as well as pg_dump?
>
> $ pg_restore -t tbl1 -t tbl2 db.dump
>
> Regards,

Yes. :)

What other functionality in pg_dump does pg_restore not duplicate?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

On Tue, August 10, 2010 13:18, David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 05:13:22PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> Is it worth allowing pg_restore to accept multiple -t
>> switches as well as pg_dump?
>>
>> $ pg_restore -t tbl1 -t tbl2 db.dump
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Yes. :)
>
> What other functionality in pg_dump does pg_restore not duplicate?

See also "pg_restore -t table : can silently omit constraints":
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2009-04/msg00269.php

Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Is it worth allowing pg_restore to accept multiple -t
> switches as well as pg_dump?

It's on the TODO list already, no?

regards, tom lane

Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> pg_dump allows us to select multiple target tables by using
> multiple -t switches, but pg_restore does not. So, when
> restoring multiple tables, we have to run pg_restore more
> than once as follows. This is a pain to me.

Use the list facilities, options -l and -L.

> Is it worth allowing pg_restore to accept multiple -t
> switches as well as pg_dump?

I don't think so.

dim

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Is it worth allowing pg_restore to accept multiple -t
>> switches as well as pg_dump?
>
> It's on the TODO list already, no?

Thanks! I found it on the list and understood there are other many
restrictions in pg_restore's -t switch.