Streaming base backups

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Streaming base backups
Date: 2011-01-05 13:54:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached is an updated streaming base backup patch, based off the work
that Heikki
started. It includes support for tablespaces, permissions, progress
reporting and
some actual documentation of the protocol changes (user interface
documentation is
going to be depending on exactly what the frontend client will look like, so I'm
waiting with that one a while).

The basic implementation is: Add a new command to the replication mode called
BASE_BACKUP, that will initiate a base backup, stream the contents (in tar
compatible format) of the data directory and all tablespaces, and then end
the base backup in a single operation.

Other than the basic implementation, there is a small refactoring done of
pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() splitting them into a "backend function"
that is easier to call internally and a "user facing function" that remains
identical to the previous one, and I've also added a pg_abort_backup()
internal-only function to get out of crashes while in backup mode in a safer
way (so it can be called from error handlers). Also, the walsender needs a
resource owner in order to call pg_start_backup().

I've implemented a frontend for this in pg_streamrecv, based on the assumption
that we wanted to include this in bin/ for 9.1 - and that it seems like a
reasonable place to put it. This can obviously be moved elsewhere if we want to.
That code needs a lot more cleanup, but I wanted to make sure I got the backend
patch out for review quickly. You can find the current WIP branch for
pg_streamrecv on my github page at https://github.com/mhagander/pg_streamrecv,
in the branch "baserecv". I'll be posting that as a separate patch once it's
been a bit more cleaned up (it does work now if you want to test it, though).

Some remaining thoughts and must-dos:

* Compression: Do we want to be able to compress the backups server-side? Or
defer that to whenever we get compression in libpq? (you can still tunnel it
through for example SSH to get compression if you want to) My thinking is
defer it.
* Compression: We could still implement compression of the tar files in
pg_streamrecv (probably easier, possibly more useful?)
* Windows support (need to implement readlink)
* Tar code is copied from pg_dump and modified. Should we try to factor it out
into port/? There are changes in the middle of it so it can't be done with
the current calling points, it would need a refactor. I think it's not worth
it, given how simple it is.

Improvements I want to add, but that aren't required for basic operation:

* Stefan mentiond it might be useful to put some
posix_fadvise(POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED)
in the process that streams all the files out. Seems useful, as long as that
doesn't kick them out of the cache *completely*, for other backends as well.
Do we know if that is the case?
* include all the necessary WAL files in the backup. This way we could generate
a tar file that would work on it's own - right now, you still need to set up
log archiving (or use streaming repl) to get the remaining logfiles from the
master. This is fine for replication setups, but not for backups.
This would also require us to block recycling of WAL files during the backup,
of course.
* Suggestion from Heikki: don't put backup_label in $PGDATA during the backup.
Rather, include it just in the tar file. That way if you crash during the
backup, the master doesn't start recovery from the backup_label, leading
to failure to start up in the worst case
* Suggestion from Heikki: perhaps at some point we're going to need a full
bison grammar for walsender commands.
* Relocation of tablespaces (can at least partially be done client-side)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Attachment Content-Type Size
basebackup.patch text/x-patch 22.8 KB

On 01/05/2011 02:54 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
[..]
> Some remaining thoughts and must-dos:
>
> * Compression: Do we want to be able to compress the backups server-side? Or
> defer that to whenever we get compression in libpq? (you can still tunnel it
> through for example SSH to get compression if you want to) My thinking is
> defer it.
> * Compression: We could still implement compression of the tar files in
> pg_streamrecv (probably easier, possibly more useful?)

hmm compression would be nice but I don't think it is required for this
initial implementation.

> * Windows support (need to implement readlink)
> * Tar code is copied from pg_dump and modified. Should we try to factor it out
> into port/? There are changes in the middle of it so it can't be done with
> the current calling points, it would need a refactor. I think it's not worth
> it, given how simple it is.
>
> Improvements I want to add, but that aren't required for basic operation:
>
> * Stefan mentiond it might be useful to put some
> posix_fadvise(POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED)
> in the process that streams all the files out. Seems useful, as long as that
> doesn't kick them out of the cache *completely*, for other backends as well.
> Do we know if that is the case?

well my main concern is that a basebackup done that way might blew up
the buffercache of the OS causing temporary performance issues.
This might be more serious with an in-core solution than with what
people use now because a number of backup software and tools (like some
of the commercial backup solutions) employ various tricks to avoid that.
One interesting tidbit i found was:

http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/fadvise/

which is very Linux specific but interesting nevertheless...

Stefan

> Attached is an updated streaming base backup patch, based off the work

Thanks! :)

> * Compression: Do we want to be able to compress the backups server-side? Or
> defer that to whenever we get compression in libpq? (you can still tunnel it
> through for example SSH to get compression if you want to) My thinking is
> defer it.

Compression in libpq would be a nice way to solve it, later.

> * Compression: We could still implement compression of the tar files in
> pg_streamrecv (probably easier, possibly more useful?)

What about pg_streamrecv | gzip > …, which has the big advantage of
being friendly to *any* compression command line tool, whatever patents
and licenses?

> * Stefan mentiond it might be useful to put some
> posix_fadvise(POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED)
> in the process that streams all the files out. Seems useful, as long as that
> doesn't kick them out of the cache *completely*, for other backends as well.
> Do we know if that is the case?

Maybe have a look at pgfincore to only tag DONTNEED for blocks that are
not already in SHM?

> * include all the necessary WAL files in the backup. This way we could generate
> a tar file that would work on it's own - right now, you still need to set up
> log archiving (or use streaming repl) to get the remaining logfiles from the
> master. This is fine for replication setups, but not for backups.
> This would also require us to block recycling of WAL files during the backup,
> of course.

Well, I would guess that if you're streaming the WAL files in parallel
while the base backup is taken, then you're able to have it all without
archiving setup, and the server could still recycling them.

Dimitri Fontaine

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 22:58, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> Attached is an updated streaming base backup patch, based off the work
>
> Thanks! :)
>
>> * Compression: Do we want to be able to compress the backups server-side? Or
>>   defer that to whenever we get compression in libpq? (you can still tunnel it
>>   through for example SSH to get compression if you want to) My thinking is
>>   defer it.
>
> Compression in libpq would be a nice way to solve it, later.

Yeah, I'm pretty much set on postponing that one.

>> * Compression: We could still implement compression of the tar files in
>>   pg_streamrecv (probably easier, possibly more useful?)
>
> What about pg_streamrecv | gzip > …, which has the big advantage of
> being friendly to *any* compression command line tool, whatever patents
> and licenses?

That's part of what I meant with "easier and more useful".

Right now though, pg_streamrecv will output one tar file for each
tablespace, so you can't get it on stdout. But that can be changed of
course. The easiest step 1 is to just use gzopen() from zlib on the
files and use the same code as now :-)

>> * Stefan mentiond it might be useful to put some
>> posix_fadvise(POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED)
>>   in the process that streams all the files out. Seems useful, as long as that
>>   doesn't kick them out of the cache *completely*, for other backends as well.
>>   Do we know if that is the case?
>
> Maybe have a look at pgfincore to only tag DONTNEED for blocks that are
> not already in SHM?

I think that's way more complex than we want to go here.

>> * include all the necessary WAL files in the backup. This way we could generate
>>   a tar file that would work on it's own - right now, you still need to set up
>>   log archiving (or use streaming repl) to get the remaining logfiles from the
>>   master. This is fine for replication setups, but not for backups.
>>   This would also require us to block recycling of WAL files during the backup,
>>   of course.
>
> Well, I would guess that if you're streaming the WAL files in parallel
> while the base backup is taken, then you're able to have it all without
> archiving setup, and the server could still recycling them.

Yes, this was mostly for the use-case of "getting a single tarfile
that you can actually use to restore from without needing the log
archive at all".

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

>> Compression in libpq would be a nice way to solve it, later.
>
> Yeah, I'm pretty much set on postponing that one.

+1, in case it was not clear for whoever's counting the votes :)

>> What about pg_streamrecv | gzip > …, which has the big advantage of
>
> That's part of what I meant with "easier and more useful".

Well…

> Right now though, pg_streamrecv will output one tar file for each
> tablespace, so you can't get it on stdout. But that can be changed of
> course. The easiest step 1 is to just use gzopen() from zlib on the
> files and use the same code as now :-)

Oh if integrating it is easier :)

>> Maybe have a look at pgfincore to only tag DONTNEED for blocks that are
>> not already in SHM?
>
> I think that's way more complex than we want to go here.

Yeah.

>> Well, I would guess that if you're streaming the WAL files in parallel
>> while the base backup is taken, then you're able to have it all without
>> archiving setup, and the server could still recycling them.
>
> Yes, this was mostly for the use-case of "getting a single tarfile
> that you can actually use to restore from without needing the log
> archive at all".

It also allows for a simpler kick-start procedure for preparing a
standby, and allows to stop worrying too much about wal_keep_segments
and archive servers.

When do the standby launch its walreceiver? It would be extra-nice for
the base backup tool to optionally continue streaming WALs until the
standby starts doing it itself, so that wal_keep_segments is really
deprecated. No idea how feasible that is, though.

Dimitri Fontaine