Git migration timeline

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Git migration timeline
Date: 2010-08-16 13:33:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

According to the decision at the developer meeting, the migration to
git should happen 17-20 Aug. Here's my proposed timeline. This will
obviously affect development work some, and since the original
timeline called for us having already released 9.0 buy then ;)

1. Tuesday evening, around 19:00 central european time, which is 17:00
GMT or 12:00 EST, I will freeze the current cvs repository. I will do
this by disabling committer login on that box, so please note that
this will also make it impossible for committers to do a "cvs update"
from the authenticated repository. The anonymous repository will of
course still be available.

2. Tuesday evening and wednesday morning (european time again, please
extrapolate as necessary yourself :P), I will convert the latest cvs
version including running all my comparison scripts. (this takes quite
a long time). once the conversion is done, I'll snapshot whatever we
have by then so we can back out to that.

3. I will then as soon as this is done run the script to remove
keywords from active branches.

4. At this point, I will push a copy of this to the
postgresql-migration.git project on git.postgresql.org, asking
everybody to test. Those of you around, please do so as quickly as you
can. It will also be made available to all committers at this time as
a read-only repository.

5. Once enough is verified, we'll open the repository up for commits.
I expect this to happen sometime on thursday probably, assuming there
were no issues.

6. Once things have been running for a few days, we'll replace the
postgresql.git project on git.postgresql.org with an automatic push of
the repository, renaming the old one to something like
postgresql-old.git for a while.

7. As things are done, I'll get the anoncvs mirror moving as soon as
possible. But I want to make sure that the git stuff is fully working
before we do that.

This means the following:
* If anybody is working on some specific patch they want to get in
soon, please try to do so before tuesday evening european time.

* If you are working off the old git tree, you are recommended to do a
pull sometime between that and thuersday. That'll make sure you have
the latest copy of the *old* git repository. You can then generate a
patch off that and submit it or re-apply to your old repository. Note
that the new repository will *NOT* be compatible with the old one, so
you'll need to do a manual move over. All commits will have new
SHA1'sl.

* Buildfarm coverage will obviously be weak until BF members have been
converted to run off git. Those running directly against anoncvs
should have a fair chance to still work on the new one once that's up,
but the rsync-the-cvs-repository method will no longer work.

Um, I'm sure there's more, but...
.
Are there any objections to this timeline, or will this work out
reasonably well for everybody?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

> According to the decision at the developer meeting, the migration to
> git should happen 17-20 Aug. Here's my proposed timeline. This will
> obviously affect development work some, and since the original
> timeline called for us having already released 9.0 buy then ;)

Core is currently talking about exactly when we want to push out
9.0beta5 and/or 9.1alpha1, and the scheduling of the git transition has
to wait on that decision. I don't think we're going to be ready for it
to begin on Tuesday. Ignoring the exact timing, this plan sounds good
except for this bit:

> 1. Tuesday evening, around 19:00 central european time, which is 17:00
> GMT or 12:00 EST, I will freeze the current cvs repository. I will do
> this by disabling committer login on that box, so please note that
> this will also make it impossible for committers to do a "cvs update"
> from the authenticated repository.

That's not really going to do, especially since it will also lock out
"cvs log". I certainly want to do a final update and cvs2cl after the
last commits have happened, and I imagine other people will want that
too. If there were a way to make the repository read-only that would be
nice, but I think what we're going to need to settle for is relying on
the committers to not do any more commits after the specified time.

I can see the point of wanting to be dead certain the repository isn't
changing under you during the data migration. Perhaps we need an agreed
window between last call for commits and the actual lock-out.

regards, tom lane

* Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> [100816 09:58]:

> That's not really going to do, especially since it will also lock out
> "cvs log". I certainly want to do a final update and cvs2cl after the
> last commits have happened, and I imagine other people will want that
> too. If there were a way to make the repository read-only that would be
> nice, but I think what we're going to need to settle for is relying on
> the committers to not do any more commits after the specified time.
>
> I can see the point of wanting to be dead certain the repository isn't
> changing under you during the data migration. Perhaps we need an agreed
> window between last call for commits and the actual lock-out.

What about 2 minutes long for the repository to be "synced" to wherever
he wants to do the conversion from. There isn't any reason for the
repository to be locked while he does the conversion/checks, but he does
need a guaranteed consistent copy of the repository to work from.

I'ld suggest having the repository "locked" for long enough to:
1) Get a consistent rsync/snapshot/tarball of $CVSROOT
2) Send an email to committers saying CVS repository has been "taken",
don't commit/tag/branch on it anymore "please"

And then unlock it with the expectation that committers will continue in
their good stewardship of the CVS repository (in this case meaning not
make any changes to it anymore) as they are already doing.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 15:58, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> According to the decision at the developer meeting, the migration to
>> git should happen 17-20 Aug. Here's my proposed timeline. This will
>> obviously affect development work some, and since the original
>> timeline called for us having already released 9.0 buy then ;)
>
> Core is currently talking about exactly when we want to push out
> 9.0beta5 and/or 9.1alpha1, and the scheduling of the git transition has
> to wait on that decision.  I don't think we're going to be ready for it
> to begin on Tuesday.  Ignoring the exact timing, this plan sounds good
> except for this bit:

Ok. The sooner you can let me (and others) know, the better.

Note that if it gets pushed past the end of this week (for the whole
process), it's quite likely that the whole process will be stretched
out further. I'll have other committments I need to take care of
meanwhile then - this week i've set of a fair amount of dedicated time
to work on this. Next week, for example, almost all the work would
have to be done durning the evenings (european time) outside of work
hours, which obviously makes for a lot less available time.

>> 1. Tuesday evening, around 19:00 central european time, which is 17:00
>> GMT or 12:00 EST, I will freeze the current cvs repository. I will do
>> this by disabling committer login on that box, so please note that
>> this will also make it impossible for committers to do a "cvs update"
>> from the authenticated repository.
>
> That's not really going to do, especially since it will also lock out
> "cvs log".  I certainly want to do a final update and cvs2cl after the
> last commits have happened, and I imagine other people will want that
> too.  If there were a way to make the repository read-only that would be
> nice, but I think what we're going to need to settle for is relying on
> the committers to not do any more commits after the specified time.

You can still rsync the copy off the anoncvs server (or use the
anoncvs one). That one is an exact rsync of the main one, so I don't
see why something like "cvs2cl" wouldn't work off that one
automatically. I was just assuming every developer was already using
an rsynced copy for that kind of work :-)

I would like to make the repo readonly if I could, but I don't know a
reliable way of doing that with cvs. If someone can enlighten me on
one, that's obviously preferred.

> I can see the point of wanting to be dead certain the repository isn't
> changing under you during the data migration.  Perhaps we need an agreed
> window between last call for commits and the actual lock-out.

To prevent that, I just need to shut it down for 2 minutes to rsync
the latest changes off it and onto the new git box. Maybe that's how
we should do it.

This is a defense against committers forgetting about things and
accidentally committing to the repository *after* it's been
snapshotted. I guess we can just declare those as ignorant and throw
away those commits.. :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 15:58, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I can see the point of wanting to be dead certain the repository isn't
>> changing under you during the data migration. Perhaps we need an agreed
>> window between last call for commits and the actual lock-out.

> To prevent that, I just need to shut it down for 2 minutes to rsync
> the latest changes off it and onto the new git box. Maybe that's how
> we should do it.

That sounds like a reasonable scheme to me, especially since it leaves
the cvs repository functional. Dunno about you, but I want a fallback
plan in case this turns into a disaster ...

regards, tom lane

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> 1. Tuesday evening, around 19:00 central european time, which is 17:00
>> GMT or 12:00 EST, I will freeze the current cvs repository. I will do
>> this by disabling committer login on that box, so please note that
>> this will also make it impossible for committers to do a "cvs update"
>> from the authenticated repository.
>
> That's not really going to do, especially since it will also lock out
> "cvs log".  I certainly want to do a final update and cvs2cl after the
> last commits have happened, and I imagine other people will want that
> too.  If there were a way to make the repository read-only that would be
> nice, but I think what we're going to need to settle for is relying on
> the committers to not do any more commits after the specified time.
>
> I can see the point of wanting to be dead certain the repository isn't
> changing under you during the data migration.  Perhaps we need an agreed
> window between last call for commits and the actual lock-out.

I would feel a lot more comfortable if the CVS repository was locked
down before we start running the migration. Any accidental commits
would be a nuisance. However, giving a window between last call for
commits and actual lock-out seems reasonable.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 15:58, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> I can see the point of wanting to be dead certain the repository isn't
>>> changing under you during the data migration.  Perhaps we need an agreed
>>> window between last call for commits and the actual lock-out.
>
>> To prevent that, I just need to shut it down for 2 minutes to rsync
>> the latest changes off it and onto the new git box. Maybe that's how
>> we should do it.
>
> That sounds like a reasonable scheme to me, especially since it leaves
> the cvs repository functional.  Dunno about you, but I want a fallback
> plan in case this turns into a disaster ...

I don't think anybody proposed permanently deleting the CVS repository.

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 16:15, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 15:58, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> I can see the point of wanting to be dead certain the repository isn't
>>> changing under you during the data migration.  Perhaps we need an agreed
>>> window between last call for commits and the actual lock-out.
>
>> To prevent that, I just need to shut it down for 2 minutes to rsync
>> the latest changes off it and onto the new git box. Maybe that's how
>> we should do it.
>
> That sounds like a reasonable scheme to me, especially since it leaves
> the cvs repository functional.  Dunno about you, but I want a fallback
> plan in case this turns into a disaster ...

Oh, I had no intention whatsoever of *removing* it. Just disabling login to it.

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 16:19 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 16:15, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
> >
> >> To prevent that, I just need to shut it down for 2 minutes to rsync
> >> the latest changes off it and onto the new git box. Maybe that's how
> >> we should do it.
> >
> > That sounds like a reasonable scheme to me, especially since it leaves
> > the cvs repository functional. Dunno about you, but I want a fallback
> > plan in case this turns into a disaster ...
>
> Oh, I had no intention whatsoever of *removing* it. Just disabling login to it.

+1

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor