Resolving 8.4 open items

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Resolving 8.4 open items
Date: 2009-06-10 17:40:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If we are to make the proposed schedule for 8.4 (ie, wrap RC1 tomorrow)
we've got to get pretty hard-nosed about closing out the open items at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items

The current list is:

* do we need to worry about re-encoding file path names?

There is perhaps a real issue here, but it's not been explained nearly
to my satisfaction: I do not understand how we should determine which
encoding should be passed to the filesystem (but surely that shouldn't
vary with the per-database locale), and it's also unclear why we
shouldn't assume the value of PGDATA is already in that encoding.
Perhaps the issue really applies only to file paths supplied to COPY,
in which case the proposed patch is fixing it in the wrong place.
I think we should just punt this question to TODO.

* revisit increase of default_statistics_target?

Seems like the conclusion of that thread is "no".

* getaddrinfo issue on AIX

We need a fix for this, or at least documentation of which OS patches
should be applied.

* cursor stability issues

I will fix this per my proposal just now.

* contrib/seg and contrib/cube GiST index support have performance issues
* possible bug in cover density ranking?
* localeconv encoding issues

Punt all these to TODO. They are pre-existing issues and 8.4 is no
worse than prior releases.

* BUG #4622: xpath only work in utf-8 server encoding

Document this as a limitation and put it on TODO.

There are also a number of documentation issues open, particularly
Dimitri's work on documenting the GIST API better, but we can work
on those later. We've never considered that the RC freeze applies
to documentation.

Objections?

regards, tom lane

> If we are to make the proposed schedule for 8.4 (ie, wrap RC1 tomorrow)
> we've got to get pretty hard-nosed about closing out the open items at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Open_Items
>
> The current list is:
>
> * do we need to worry about re-encoding file path names?
>
> There is perhaps a real issue here, but it's not been explained nearly
> to my satisfaction: I do not understand how we should determine which
> encoding should be passed to the filesystem (but surely that shouldn't
> vary with the per-database locale), and it's also unclear why we
> shouldn't assume the value of PGDATA is already in that encoding.
> Perhaps the issue really applies only to file paths supplied to COPY,
> in which case the proposed patch is fixing it in the wrong place.
> I think we should just punt this question to TODO.

Is there really something new here for 8.4? Haven't we lived with this
same thing previously?

If it's not a regression, +1 for punting.

--
Magnus Hagander
Self: http://www.hagander.net/

>> * do we need to worry about re-encoding file path names?

> Is there really something new here for 8.4? Haven't we lived with this
> same thing previously?

Right, it's a pre-existing issue --- any misbehavior in this area goes
back to the beginning.

regards, tom lane

> * contrib/seg and contrib/cube GiST index support have performance issues

Wasn't there an issue that fixing this requires a data format change?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.