Revised R* tree using GiST

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "fernando esparza" <fesparza(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Revised R* tree using GiST
Date: 2006-05-04 06:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I'm finishing my career in computer engineering. To finish that I've
to develop a new implementation of R*-tree. My teacher Prof. Dr.
Seeger, http://dbs.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/Home/People/Professor has
already one done, now he wants me to add it to PostgreSQL using Gist.
Now that gist is the PostgreSQL core it's very dificult for me to know
from where to start with. Could you please give me some kind of guide?

Thank you. Sincerely yours.

Fernando Esparza

On Thu, 4 May 2006, fernando esparza wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm finishing my career in computer engineering. To finish that I've
> to develop a new implementation of R*-tree. My teacher Prof. Dr.
> Seeger, http://dbs.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/Home/People/Professor has
> already one done, now he wants me to add it to PostgreSQL using Gist.
> Now that gist is the PostgreSQL core it's very dificult for me to know
> from where to start with. Could you please give me some kind of guide?

Some information is available on http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/GiST
We have also GiST programming tutorial (in Russian)
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/talks/gist_tutorial.html

> Thank you. Sincerely yours.
>
> Fernando Esparza

Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

For you it will be easy to understand GiST interface looking into
src/backend/access/gist/gistproc.c. It implements RTree.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/