Re: initdb: The password file was not generated.

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: community decision-making & 8.5
Date: 2009-09-02 03:33:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I posted a message a little over a week ago discussing the timetable for 8.5:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg01576.php

That thread went off on a number of interesting tangents which I found
pretty informative. Probably the most interesting one to me
personally was about a need for more efficient decision-making.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg02149.php

It's interesting to note that the original purpose of this thread was
to get a decision about the timetable for 8.5 development, and that of
the original responses to that message only one person (Peter)
expression a clear opinion about the topic in question. Everyone
else, so far as I can see, said some variant of "on the one hand...
but then on the other hand...". Eventually, Josh Berkus retracted his
original endorsement for the 3-CF plan and suggested that we go with
four.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg01651.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg01983.php

Josh's schedule was subsequently endorsed by Simon Riggs. So by my
count we now have four votes for a 4-CF schedule and one for a 3-CF
schedule (me), maybe two if you count Tom, who I think was leaning in
that direction - so I guess that settles the matter?

I think this is a good illustration of the problems with
decision-making in a community environment - given choices "3" and "4"
most of the votes were somewhere between "3.25" and "3.75". I think,
in general, that when people weigh in with clear opinions, we're
pretty good about moving in the direction that most people want to go.
Even two votes can be enough for a consensus, if they both go in the
same direction. However, when the responses aren't clearly in favor
of one option or the other, or when no-one writes back at all, I think
we tend to flounder.

It's worth thinking about how we could improve this. I think the
ideas that were floated on the previous thread of having a beta-mom
and/or an open-items-fest are good ones, and we might want to have
both: someone to work with beta testers, and someone to coordinate
volunteers to propose solutions to the open items. Those proposals
are specific to getting a release out the door, though, and that may
not be the only context in which this problem comes up. Still, it's a
start - any other ideas?

...Robert

> Josh's schedule was subsequently endorsed by Simon Riggs. So by my
> count we now have four votes for a 4-CF schedule and one for a 3-CF
> schedule (me), maybe two if you count Tom, who I think was leaning in
> that direction - so I guess that settles the matter?
>
> I think this is a good illustration of the problems with
> decision-making in a community environment - given choices "3" and "4"
> most of the votes were somewhere between "3.25" and "3.75". I think,
> in general, that when people weigh in with clear opinions, we're
> pretty good about moving in the direction that most people want to go.
> Even two votes can be enough for a consensus, if they both go in the
> same direction. However, when the responses aren't clearly in favor
> of one option or the other, or when no-one writes back at all, I think
> we tend to flounder.

# Sorry, I could not follow the original thread due to the flood of
# message, but I would like to say my opinion.

From our experience in v8.4 development, it is important to handle
the last commit fest. At the last Nov, we had three big patches to
be reviewed, then we could close the last fest at the middle of
next March with postponing all of them.
In other word, if we don't have a consensus when the last commit
fest to be closed, N-commit fest can grow up (N+1)-commit fest
easily.

So, now, it seems to me Josh's proposition is reasonable.

| We do four CFs, July 15, September 15, November 15, and January 15.
|
| However, we rigidly apply the 30-day deadline for the January 15 CF.

In my reason, it may be a bit short to have only two commit fest remained.
At the first commit fest, I got a suggestion to reworks the native PostgreSQL
access control facilities, then SE-PostgreSQL should be implemented on the
common security abstraction layer.
So, if we have only two commit fests remained, it also means I have to
provide perfect works without any fails. :(

Thanks,
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC

> I think this is a good illustration of the problems with
> decision-making in a community environment - given choices "3" and "4"
> most of the votes were somewhere between "3.25" and "3.75". I think,
> in general, that when people weigh in with clear opinions, we're
> pretty good about moving in the direction that most people want to go.
> Even two votes can be enough for a consensus, if they both go in the
> same direction. However, when the responses aren't clearly in favor
> of one option or the other, or when no-one writes back at all, I think
> we tend to flounder.

I think it should be up to whoever is the commitfest or release manager
to decide how he/she wants to manage them. That includes deciding how
many of them there is, when they start and when they end. Others can
give suggestions, plea for extensions, and whine.

With that power comes the responsibility to kick the right people at the
right times to make the schedule stick and get the release out of the door.

That implies that we need a release manager. Electing one would be the
first step. That's a lot of work and responsibility, with lots of
potential for making people cross, so in practice I think as soon as
someone steps up to the plate and volunteers to do it, he's the one.

I'm very happy with the way you ran the first commitfest. Thank you.
Want to manage the rest as well?

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Linnakangas<heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> That implies that we need a release manager. Electing one would be the
> first step. That's a lot of work and responsibility, with lots of
> potential for making people cross, so in practice I think as soon as
> someone steps up to the plate and volunteers to do it, he's the one.
>
> I'm very happy with the way you ran the first commitfest. Thank you.
> Want to manage the rest as well?

+1 on both points.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 12:50 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Heikki
> Linnakangas<heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > That implies that we need a release manager. Electing one would be the
> > first step. That's a lot of work and responsibility, with lots of
> > potential for making people cross, so in practice I think as soon as
> > someone steps up to the plate and volunteers to do it, he's the one.
> >
> > I'm very happy with the way you ran the first commitfest. Thank you.
> > Want to manage the rest as well?
>
> +1 on both points.

Isn't "core" supposed to be the release manager?

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 12:50 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Heikki
> > Linnakangas<heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > > That implies that we need a release manager. Electing one would be the
> > > first step. That's a lot of work and responsibility, with lots of
> > > potential for making people cross, so in practice I think as soon as
> > > someone steps up to the plate and volunteers to do it, he's the one.
> > >
> > > I'm very happy with the way you ran the first commitfest. Thank you.
> > > Want to manage the rest as well?
> >
> > +1 on both points.
>
> Isn't "core" supposed to be the release manager?

Core is a decision-making committee. A release manager is a person,
maybe two, but a committee doesn't work (unless they'd split up tasks in
tickets and have them assigned etc, but I don't see -core doing that.)

Herrera<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake escribió:
>> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 12:50 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

>> > +1 on both points.
>>
>> Isn't "core" supposed to be the release manager?
>
> Core is a decision-making committee.  A release manager is a person,
> maybe two, but a committee doesn't work (unless they'd split up tasks in
> tickets and have them assigned etc, but I don't see -core doing that.)

Previous emails from Tom seem to indicate that the mandate of -core is
mostly to decide things like the timing of releases. If we gave that
job to somebody else, would there be anything left for -core to do?
If so, what? And on the flip side, it is precisely because of the
lack of a clear statement on release timing from -core that we're
having these discussions here on -hackers. Personally, I think that's
better, since -core is a private list (why?) to which most of us don't
have access, and I don't see any reason why decisions like this can't
be made in public.

The only

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Alvaro
> Herrera<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake escribió:

>>> Isn't "core" supposed to be the release manager?
>>
>> Core is a decision-making committee.  A release manager is a person,
>> maybe two, but a committee doesn't work (unless they'd split up tasks in
>> tickets and have them assigned etc, but I don't see -core doing that.)
>
> Previous emails from Tom seem to indicate that the mandate of -core is
> mostly to decide things like the timing of releases.  If we gave that
> job to somebody else, would there be anything left for -core to do?
> If so, what?  And on the flip side, it is precisely because of the
> lack of a clear statement on release timing from -core that we're
> having these discussions here on -hackers.  Personally, I think that's
> better, since -core is a private list (why?) to which most of us don't
> have access, and I don't see any reason why decisions like this can't
> be made in public.
>
> The only

Heh. Thankfully that wasn't one of the emails that needed to be
edited for tone before I sent it, or at least I hope not. Anyway, to
finish the thought, the only reason I can think of why we might not
want to publicly discuss release timing is to the extent that it is in
reaction to security vulnerabilities.

Anyway, I'm still curious about what'n'all -core actually does.

...Robert