Re: plpgsql.print_strict_params

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: plpgsql.print_strict_params
Date: 2013-09-13 21:56:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Attached is a patch for optionally printing more information on STRICT
failures in PL/PgSQL:

set plpgsql.print_strict_params to true;

create or replace function footest() returns void as $$
declare
x record;
p1 int := 2;
p3 text := 'foo';
begin
-- too many rows
select * from foo where f1 > p1 or f1::text = p3 into strict x;
raise notice 'x.f1 = %, x.f2 = %', x.f1, x.f2;
end$$ language plpgsql;
select footest();
ERROR: query returned more than one row
DETAIL: p1 = '2', p3 = 'foo'
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function footest() line 8 at SQL statement

This parameter is turned off by default to preserve old behaviour, but
can be extremely useful when debugging code in test environments.

I will add this to the open commitfest, but in the meanwhile, any
feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja

Attachment Content-Type Size
print_strict_params.patch text/plain 13.9 KB