Re: patch for new feature: Buffer Cache Hibernation

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki(at)jp(dot)FreeBSD(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: patch for new feature: Buffer Cache Hibernation
Date: 2011-05-04 14:10:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I am working on new feature `Buffer Cache Hibernation' which enables
postgres to keep higher cache hit ratio even just started.

Postgres usually starts with ZERO buffer cache. By saving the buffer
cache data structure into hibernation files just before shutdown, and
buffer cache as the same condition as just before the last shutdown.

Here is the patch for 9.0.3 (also tested on 8.4.7)
http://people.freebsd.org/~iwasaki/postgres/buffer-cache-hibernation-postgresql-9.0.3.patch

The patch includes the following.
- At shutdown, buffer cache data structure (such as BufferDescriptors,
BufferBlocks and StrategyControl) is saved into hibernation files.
- At startup, buffer cache data structure is loaded from hibernation
files and buffer lookup hashtable is setup based on buffer descriptors.
- Above functions are enabled by specifying `enable_buffer_cache_hibernation=on'
in postgresql.conf.

Any comments are welcome and I would very much appreciate merging the
patch in source tree.

Have fun and thanks!

On 05/04/2011 10:10 AM, Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on new feature `Buffer Cache Hibernation' which enables
> postgres to keep higher cache hit ratio even just started.
>
> Postgres usually starts with ZERO buffer cache. By saving the buffer
> cache data structure into hibernation files just before shutdown, and
> buffer cache as the same condition as just before the last shutdown.
>
> Here is the patch for 9.0.3 (also tested on 8.4.7)
> http://people.freebsd.org/~iwasaki/postgres/buffer-cache-hibernation-postgresql-9.0.3.patch
>
> The patch includes the following.
> - At shutdown, buffer cache data structure (such as BufferDescriptors,
> BufferBlocks and StrategyControl) is saved into hibernation files.
> - At startup, buffer cache data structure is loaded from hibernation
> files and buffer lookup hashtable is setup based on buffer descriptors.
> - Above functions are enabled by specifying `enable_buffer_cache_hibernation=on'
> in postgresql.conf.
>
> Any comments are welcome and I would very much appreciate merging the
> patch in source tree.

That sounds cool.

Please a) make sure your patch is up to data against the latest source
in git and b) submit it to the next commitfest at
<https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=10>

We don't backport features, and 9.1 is closed for features now, so the
earliest release this could be used in is 9.2.

cheers

andrew

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki(at)jp(dot)freebsd(dot)org> wrote:
> Postgres usually starts with ZERO buffer cache.  By saving the buffer
> cache data structure into hibernation files just before shutdown, and
> buffer cache as the same condition as just before the last shutdown.

Offhand this seems pretty handy for benchmarks where it would help get
reproducible results.

--
greg