Re: plan time of MASSIVE partitioning ...

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: plan time of MASSIVE partitioning ...
Date: 2010-09-03 09:40:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hello everybody,

we came across an issue which turned out to be more serious than previously expected.
imagine a system with, say, 1000 partitions (heavily indexed) or so. the time taken by the planner is already fairly heavy in this case.

i tried this one with 5000 unindexed tables (just one col):

test=# \timing
Timing is on.
test=# prepare x(int4) AS select * from t_data order by id desc;
PREPARE
Time: 361.552 ms

you will see similar or higher runtimes in case of 500 partitions and a handful of indexes.

does anybody see a potential way to do a shortcut through the planner?
a prepared query is no solution here as constraint exclusion would be dead in this case (making the entire thing an even bigger drama).

did anybody think of a solution to this problem.
or more precisely: can there be a solution to this problem?

many thanks,

hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH