What encoding to use for this error?

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Patrick Hatcher <pathat(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What encoding to use for this error?
Date: 2005-04-06 14:27:26
Lists: pgsql-general

We're testing moving our data to UNICODE from LATIN1, but when I try to
import my data, I get the following error:

DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR: Unicode characters greater than or
equal to
0x10000 are not supported
CONTEXT: COPY bcp_mdc_products, line 120, column description: "LladrĂ³
"Ducks in
a Basket""

What encoding should I be using for characters like this? I thought
unicode was supposed to handle these types of characters?

TIA

Patrick Hatcher

Patrick Hatcher <pathat(at)comcast(dot)net> writes:
> We're testing moving our data to UNICODE from LATIN1, but when I try to
> import my data, I get the following error:

> DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR: Unicode characters greater than or
> equal to
> 0x10000 are not supported
> CONTEXT: COPY bcp_mdc_products, line 120, column description: "Lladr
> "Ducks in
> a Basket""

Do you have client_encoding set properly while doing the import?
If the incoming data is LATIN1, you need to say so, so that the backend
knows how to convert it to UNICODE.

regards, tom lane

Thank you. I'll take a look at our data export function.